Powerflue gas fires!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I was hoping someone could advice me. Recently I have had a new gas fire fitted against an outside wall. The fire is from The Gallery Collection (2005 -2006) and is called the Royal. Due to the fact that it had to fitted to an outside wall it was fitted as a powerflue gas fire. The thing is when the fire is on very little heat comes from it. I can stand right next to it and not even feel it. However, outside next to the powerflue is a different matter, with loads of heat coming out. I have phoned the company that fitted it and they have said they will call me back to arrange a plumber to have a look. I think they are going to try and fob me off so I have contacted you for some advice. Is it possible that they have fitted it wrong? Should it be giving out more heat?

Thank you for your time and I thank you in anticipation of your response.

Cheers and Happy Christmas, P

Sponsored Links
I'm not familiar with the fire but you do know that gas fires are very inefficient compared to central heating boilers, many fires waste up to 50% of the energy consumed.

If you have the manufacturers instructions look in them for heat input and heat output figures, I bet the output is 1/2 the input.

power flue fires are notoriously in efficient, there mainly for decorative purposes, as there is very little radient heat given off, and most of the convection heat is sucked straight out by the fan.....

I had one of these fitted http://www.verine.co.uk/quasarpowerflueinfo.html with an external and recessed type of powerflue unit, as shown here http://www.verine.co.uk/fluetypes.html

This really has belted out the heat during the recent cold snap, and has been a useful addition to the main CH and a very pleasant decorative addition to the lounge.

Indoors, the heat output on the lowest setting, this evening for example, has been more than satisfactory. The faux coals glow really red hot across the full bed. The flames get slightly longer, with more interesting colours, at the highest setting. Outside, the air from the fan unit is warm rather than dangerously hot.

The fire back of my unit slopes indoors slightly, and I guess this 'throws' the heat forward, before the fumes then pass backward into the fan unit. Does yours do this?

The only minor niggle - is that during the very cold (e.g. last Saturday neg8 around Southampton) I did notice a bit of a cold draught from the open (but off) fan unit. (So I am working on a very naughty baffle unit - but dont tell anyone - shh!)

Does this help?

CB

Sponsored Links
Thank you everyone for your replies. They've been a real help. Thanks again and happy christmas to you all

P.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back