Gas Fire Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to buy and get installed a side venting powerflue gas fire. I have found the one I want which should go into a chimney (whic I don't have)

Can anyone suggest how I would go about building a fake fire enclosure? Ie: for the gas fire to slot into. I will put a mantelpiece over it so it will be like a short fake breast.

Can I build it from stud work and plasterboard? Does it need to be fire proof?

Sponsored Links
Which fire? What does the manufacturer stipulate?

You are probably looking at a Verine fire (equivalent to old Portway Pageant). Portway/Verine went bust, and were bought by BFM (Kinder ). Products generally okay but afyer sales absolutely dreadful.

Anyway - DO NOT BUILD anything without manufacturers instructions! P/board and studding is okay, subject to required clearances, BUT some measurements concerning the flue are VERY specific. Get MI's first.

As writing this, just remembered. A side flue fire is not normally inset into the breast, but sits forward, so the measurments relate to the fire surround, not breast assembly. You end up with a chunky mantle.This of course depends on the actual make, but I don't know of any other, so still get MI's first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back