Replacement for old gas fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I am looking to replace my old Radiant gas fire with something a little more modern. Ideally something else gas-based as I'm not a fan of the fake flame electric fires. The existing one looks like this: http://www.bhl.co.uk/images/products/64847/detail/valor-brava-4-oxysafe-fire-teak.jpg , there is no chimney in the house so I'm guessing the existing fire vents through a pre-cast flue (there is a small plastic chimney/vent on the roof above the wall where the flue would run). I've heard that there a number of issues associated with these flues, particularly if installed in the 70's (which was when the house was built), and that I may be limited in the choice of fire I can use as a result. I am also considering building a false chimney breast where the fire surround is currently, so would also need to consider this as part of the requirements. Can anyone give me any advice as to my options? I'm not looking to spent a huge sum as this is likely to be for occasional use rather than the main source of heat for the room.

Sponsored Links
The first thing to do is to get a RGI to test the suitability of the flue and make a choice of fires available after proving the flue works well.

As said get your flue tested as a lot of PCFs are poorly constructed. Make sure your chose RGI is not just qualified for fires, but actively engaged in this type of work.

If the PC flue IS faulty, you can go for a balanced flue fire or a power flue. Avoid Focal Point fires. We recommend PARAGON fires, with a 5 year parts warranty with no need tp replace the ODS every year. Their power flue has a "heatsaver" option, whoch is essentially a flap that closes the fire flue completely when the fire is off, avoiding a draught, commonly associated with power flues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back