Powerflush for CH system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been quoted £700 by British Gas to powerflush the CH system (14 rads). Now I have picked myself up off the floor, can I ask is this a reasonable amount for this work?

The system is 20 years old and I have replaced every rad in the last year due to pin holes etcetc.

:(

Sponsored Links
Perhaps BG turn up in a stretch limo and use gold plated tools? Think I'll hunt around for a local guy and see what he will charge. I think I was getting a line of the engineer - I dont want to be unfair to him but at that price I have to wonder.

two quotes from local plumbers, one at £370 and t'other at £380......

Sponsored Links
Its also possible to hire the equipment, buy the chemicals and do it yourself for about £50. Check out your local HSS.

Whilst I am confident changing rads I think my skills wouldnt be up to doing this successfully, not knowing how to go about it ... BTW I found the pump on the HSS website ...

thanks for the suggestion

With rads as new as that you could almost certainly do it yourself with a garden hose. You'd have to get into the pipes somewhere, and do it after leaving a chemical in for a week, say.
You need to put a valve or two in , depending on what you've got. If you can do that we can work out what you need to do and you can save quite a bit.
What's the reason - new boiler?

Just another thought ... I have replaced EVERY rad in the house in the past 9 months. All those I removed were full of black sludge. Is it still worth flushing the system which would presumably just clean the pipework? Or would draining it all down and then filling with an inhibitor be just as good? Or should I just get it power flushed anyway?

ChrisR
This came about following a BG call out (I have their Central Heating Care package.) The engineer replaced a defective electric valve but said the system needed a power flush. I am at the mercy of experts here, hence my questions to the forum. Some guidance on a DIY job would be appreciated ....

ask BG to power flush your system.as you think you are being mis sold a power flush.make it a part of the power flush warranty that if any water components fail in 5 years ask for your power flush money back or another power flush FREE. good luck.

££££££££££££££££££££££££££.BG.£££££££££££££££££££££££££££
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.BG.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

what does BG mean,comments please,but no libel please...

.. Big Grins..

I recently hired a flusher from HSS - they come with really easy to follow instructions and HSS can supply all the chemicals and any extra bits that you need. I was amazed at how easy it was to do - and it cost me less than £100

I asked for it... :rolleyes:

First pick a chemical. Middle choice , Fernox Heavy Duty Restorer for a week, or Sentinel Ferroquest for a couple of days. There are others, such as Kamco's. Look all over their site for background reading.

Sketch out your system to see what's where. IE you need to know if it's a gravity system, fully pumped, uses a primatic cylinder :cry: .

Easy way to do it is to connect at convenient rad valves having removed the rad. Garden tap connectors usually fit onto the valve unions. It would be better to put a T in each of the flow and return pipes rather than going through a restrictive valve, but hey. How good is your mains pressure/ flow?

You have to cap the vent pipe, and the feed, or connect them together. Use a small magnet round where the feed pipe joins the system to try to find magnetic scale inside the pipe. If you do, you may have to cut out the pipe and replace it.

Check what motorised valve(s) you have. In the Manual position they will be open. With a 3 port yo won't be able to shut the cylinder loop unless there's an extra gate valve - consider fitting one (£2-3)

Assume all the rads are in parallel, and the boiler will be too. Open just one rad at a time and and the mains through until no more black stuff comes out. Banging the rad helps. Reverse the pipes to see if more comes. With all the rads shut you're flushing the boiler. If you close a pump valve you'll shut off the boiler so it isn't short-circuiting the rads while you're trying to clean them.

If you're still with me I'm sure you can work it all out! Read all the instructions, flush the chemicals out then use an inhibitor such as by Fernox or Sentinel.

ChriR
I think I am with you! So I disconnect the flinge pin from the doobrey bracket and then hold my breath? Only joking!

There are drain points immediately outside my front door, can I connect the mains water there? Or are you talking of using a pump? Or just open the drain point and let the water run through from the expansion tank once the drain point is open? See, told you I was a thick amateur!

Whatever the outcome I would like to say that the advice and humour on this BB is second to none - I am an appreciative reader if nothing else.
Geoff

just-thinking said:
ask BG to power flush your system.as you think you are being mis sold a power flush.make it a part of the power flush warranty that if any water components fail in 5 years ask for your power flush money back or another power flush FREE. good luck.

££££££££££££££££££££££££££.BG.£££££££££££££££££££££££££££
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.BG.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

what does BG mean,comments please,but no libel please...

.. Big Grins..

A BG powerflush is guaranteed for as long as you retain a connection with the company, if it needs doing 10 more times they will all be free!. The quote is quite high I guess it also includes remedial work to prevent more scale build up, or was it purely put down to the age and pin holing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back