Powerfull weed killer that will enable me to plant Turf 2012

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Iv had my weed plantion turned over by a pal with a mini digger.. its now nice and level with a good layer of "top soil" on top... underneath the weeds and seeds still live though!!

I want to put something down that will kill them and then cover with plastic sheeting for winter and then plant turf in springtime.

What can I use?

Sponsored Links
It's getting a bit late in the season as weeds growth will start slowing down now.

There is nothing you can put down to kill them, unfortunately you should have done that a week or so before turning it over. Your best bet will be to let new weeds grow then spray them a few weeks before turfing and remove.

For the winter go ahead and cover with sheeting but as you say the seeds etc are still in there.

you can spray with glyphosate any time up to the day before you seed or turf. It breaks down and is not persistent in the soil.

If you keep raking it until then, that will bring weed seeds to the surface and encourage them to grow so you can kill them.

If you see any big strong weeds coming through, spot-treat them with glyphosate every few weeks. It will eventually kill anything.

Do not apply any lawn weedkiller for on your new lawn for several months while it establishes and strengthens.

Sponsored Links
I would spray it now with glyphosate 360, (available on ebay) all the visible weeds will be dead in two weeks and then lay the turf, it will smother any remaining weeds.

Sept/Oct is the best time to lay turf and by next spring you'll have a fully established lawn that does not need continual watering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back