Powergen and DP isolators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Has anyone here had a double pole isolator fitted after their meter and before the consumer unit? This is regarding an intake for a single phase domestic property.

Now, I understand that the best way to do this is to see if the supplier, in this case Powergen, will come out and fit a DP isolator. The network operator is YEDL and they said they don't fit such things and I should contact the supplier.

Anyone had any experience of this?

Thanks

Rod

Sponsored Links
Earthrod

i dont think this will be much help but I do remember a post on the forum bout 3 weeks ago maybe longer. A chap had the supplier fit an isolator FOC. Sorry can remember who or exact date. Mabye if you search.

Some DNO's will fit an isolator some won't. If you want one and the DNO refuse to fit it, just get a spark to fit one for you.

Arrange for the DNO to pull the fuse, get a sparky to wire it in, get the DNO back to re-energise - job done!

Davy

davy_owen_88 said:
Arrange for the DNO to pull the fuse, get a sparky to wire it in, get the DNO back to re-energise - job done!

Davy

get a sparky to wire it in, give the DNO chap tea and biscuits, talk about football and before he goes he can re-energise - job done even quicker.

Provided the sparky knows which if OFF on the isolator he can put the tails from isolator to CU in after his cup of tea......( no biscuits if he is being paid for the work). :)

The problem will getting sparky and DNO in your home together at the same time. :evil:

Sponsored Links
I have had this done a few weeks ago, I'm with Npower as my supplier and Scottish Power are meter operator.

I phoned up Npower and got through to thier metering alterations dept, they then arranged for SP to come and fit the isoltor. Was only a single pole switch though, fitted a henley block on the neutral adjacent.

I'm in Manchester. I phoned my electric supplier (the ones I pay for my electric), EDF energy. They then had to phone someone else to see if I could have it done for free or not. They then got back to me after ten minutes and said that I could have it done for free. I've an appointment on the 20th to have the work done. Steve.

Thanks for the replies.

After a bit of a runaround phoning up Powergen and the company who they contract this type of work to, Powergen themselves have finally booked a date to do this job free of charge.

Regards

Rod

Got my new isolator fitted yesterday. Doesn't it look good? It was United Utilities that fitted it. Took the guy two attempts! Was originally fitted about 4 inches to the left but he cut the wires too short and then had to move it to the right. Steve.

IMG_2578.jpg

Mine was fitted free of charge by Scottish Power i live in a Manweb area. They replaced the tails from the service head to the meter in 16mm and from the meter to the switch in 25mm. The switch is a 3-pole 100A made by MEM.

Yeah i was quite suripsed to see a 3-pole switch with only a single phase and neutral supply. I guessed that the 3rd would be for a 2nd supply to feed an off peak unit, Or they had no double poles on the van :D

Has anyone got the correct phone number for the people at Powergen with "clue" who may be able to get this job done?

Thanks! :D

send a letter to the address on your electricity bill. It is their responsibility to pass it on to the right people.

If you phone the "customer service centre" you will probably be baffled by someone with no clue.

Depending on who your DNO is, you may get a better response by contacting them directly. I know WPD are extremely helpful and it's quicker to phone them than to go through the supplier.

island_electricity.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back