Moving electricity meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want my service provider (Powergen) to move my electricity meter.

It is behind a part walled up cupboard and can't be read except with a mirror. I want it moved by 1 metre to a new box on the outside of the wall that blocks it in.
Tail to service fuse will still only be 1 1/2 metres at most. Then 1 metre to consumer unit.

The Powergen helpline operator told me that as Scottish Power own the network they must move the meter.

Scottish Power helpline operator tells me as I am not a Scottish Power customer my service provider (Powergen) are responsible for asking Scottish Power to do this and I cannot ask directly.

Back to Powergen Helpline , differant operator continues to insist they do not have responsibility for meter moves, I must contact Scottish Power.

Back again to Scottish Power ,
"sorry but you are not a scottish power customer , talk to Powergen"

I have been talking to people for 30 minutes now and being passed back and forth.

Can anyone confirm who I should talk to about this , or even ideally give me the correct telephone contact to get this done.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I used the reference to check the DNO
Yes it is Scottish Power.

I used the contact list to get back to Scottish Power.

Yet another Scottish Power operator states catagorically.
"Yes they are the DNO but they cannot move the meter as Powergen is my supplier"

They gave me the Powergen contact number I have used 3 times already (without success) to request a meter move.

They suggested I switch back to Scottish Power , then they will move my meter for me.

So what now folks?

Try threatening to go to British Gas as your supplier as they have agreed to move it for free (not really but they don't know that).

Do they really want to lose your valuable custom for such a paltry sum?
If that doesn't work ask for their name and that of their supervisor, and tell them you will be sending the recording you have made of the conversation to the managing director and the newspapers.

They hate to be recorded as they can't remember if they were rude!!!

Sponsored Links
I had the same sort of buck passing rigmarole when requesting a temporary disconnection to renew a consumer unit. Even when it was all agreed and the customer had booked the date and paid the fee for the disconnection it got cocked up. They did not turn up within the appointed time period to disconnect the supply so I ended up breaking the service fuse seal and removing the fuse. After I had finished the job the post arrived, including a letter to say that they would now be unable to do the disconnection at the appointed time!

Powergen have again today stated that Scottish Power are the people to contact over this matter.

Powergen have been offhand and unhelpful.
I have had to listen to lots of on hold music from them that has led to little assistance
(operators dont seem to know the answers to questions and put you on hold for ages while they "contact a superviser")

The Scottish Power helpline operators have carefully explained their position and have been quick to answer calls. They knew immeediately who to pass my call to regarding meter moving.

I've had enough !!!

Today I switched my supplier back to Scottish Power from Powergen.

My annual bill is £3 more expensive with Scottish Power but at least I can now get my meter moved .

Thats the last time I get my supply from a company located far from the area I live in , its not worth the hassle if you need anything done.

In Powergen's defence.......

Even if their customer service has not been particularly good, everything they have told you is true.

And Scottish Power - even if their customer service has seemed good, everything they have told you is a lie.

And guess which one now has you as a customer.....

OK, you need to discover who OWNS the Service Cable and who OWNS the Electricity Meter.

Under the law, only the Legal Owner of this service and equipment can move it, otherwise an offence is commited under the Electricity Supply Regulations Act.

I would assume that Scottish Power, as the DNO, Own the service cable and Service cutout, so they would be legally responsible for this and the only ones who can move it. Secondly I would assume that PowerGen own the Meter, again only they would be able to move the meter.

Solution, you request the PowerGen move the Electricity meter only and arrange a date for about a months time. Then you contact Scottish Power and state that you need the Service moved, explain that PowerGen are moving the Meter. Then you arrange for them to attend on the same day.

They have a legal obligation to ensure your service is maintainable and safe, as such their protestations hold no water.

FWL_Engineer said:
Under the law, only the Legal Owner of this service and equipment can move it, otherwise an offence is commited under the Electricity Supply Regulations Act.

But that act no longer exists (since 2002)

Scottish Power (The DNO) say they own everything up as far as the meter.

Powergen own the meter (actually the strict truth is that the meter is leased to Powergen by Scottish Power who originally installed it)

Scottish Power insist that a leased meter is the responsibility of whoever it is leased to (Powergen in this case) and that only they can move it.

As far as they are concerned there is no difference between a leased meter and a meter actually owned by Powergen.

As stated before I got totally p***ed off with the run around.

I have switched back to Scottish Power because they will then own both the equipment up to the meter and (once switch is confirmed) the actual meter too.
(Or they lease it to themselves probably since that can make life even more complicated for consumers).

Whatever is right or wrong the fact remains that switching back to Scottish Power I can now get my meter moved.
Scottish Power have confirmed that this will be the case on 2 occasions now.
Staying with Powergen would have meant the stalemate was going to continue.

If Powergen's stance was correct (who can say ... not me thats for sure) the fact remains that they offered no help to resolve the situation.
Why could they not have taken my situation up with Scottish Power if they were sure they were right instead of fobbing me off with the Scottish Power helpline number even when this had not resolved the situation 3 times over already.

photon said:
Why could they not have taken my situation up with Scottish Power if they were sure they were right instead of fobbing me off with the Scottish Power helpline number even when this had not resolved the situation 3 times over already.
Because the baboons who scripted the call centre did not allow for your request, so there was nothing on the screens for the monkeys to read to you.

had a similar issue with scottish power and scottish gas last year

customer in scottish power supply area, buying power from scottish gas, needed meter moved, phoned scottish power who told her that scottish gas has to request move as they were people who customer bought power from

phoned scottish gas who arranged work with scottish power no problem - all happy

powergen are, in my opinion a bunch of muppets - who use overseas call centres occasionally to little customer satisfaction.

powergen are giving you the wrong info AND the runaround

the local rec have to have a request come from the people who you buy power from

If only they stop employing School Leavers in their Call Centres, who are not trained at all, things will get better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back