Powering attached garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning to build a garage attached to the side of my house. As luck would have it, the electricity meter (outside) and consumer unit (inside) is on the same house wall the garage will be built on. I wanted to add a couple of sockets and a couple of lights in the garage.
I have space in house consumer unit for 4 RCD or MCB's.

Can I just drill a hole through the wall to feed wiring through?

Also at what height should this be done. e.g head height, low down?

Do I need any particular cable or is standard twin and earth ok?

Once wiring is in garage, can I just feed it through conduit attached to the wall? Again at what height?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Providing the garage is reasonabily dry and protected from damp, you can use standard 2.5mm T+E to dorm a new ring into the garage. If there is damp, it would be safer to use an armour cable (fair more expensive) and properly IP rated outlets.

You can bring the cable in at any height, unless the cable is going to be consealed where upon it needs to be a set distance in from each wall, and run in straight lines only.

Make sure when you have drilled the hole that there are no jagged bits of bring left that might damage the insulation on the cable, and I would highly recomend that you use a short length of round conduit in the hole to run the cables in to further protect them.

You should on'y need a single MCB, and could run a light off the downstairs lighting circuit, or use a second MCB to run another lighting circuit just for the garage.

I would highly recomend that at least the garage ring is protected by an RCD, and that you use an MCB with a rating of 20A unless you envisage using a lot of powerful tools/appliances in the garage.

Thanks for the reply Kimba. It would only be lawnmower and radio plugged into sockets.
How would I clamp the wiring to the wall inside the garage? Just use those nail-in u clip things or run it through conduit/trunking.

Sponsored Links
Garages can be tough environments - I'd say use trunking, or conduit.

Don't forget the sockets must have RCD protection - in increasing order of cost, they must either come from an MCB on the RCD side of your CU (if it's split load) or be fed by an RCBO in the CU, or you need to use individual RCD sockets out there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back