Powering laptop PC in the car

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I often use the laptop in the car for directions (autoroute) or for the kids to watch DVDs.

I'm wondering about the possibility of using one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/POWER-INVERTE...7QQihZ002QQcategoryZ76066QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The 75W power rating should be fine, but I'm assuming there must be a catch as laptop/car power 'solutions' normally cost +£50.

Is this thing likely to either:

1: Frazzle my laptop (or)
2: Drain my car's battery in an instant.

Any views would be welcomed. Cheers.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Confiteor said:
The 75W power rating should be fine, but I'm assuming there must be a catch as laptop/car power 'solutions' normally cost +£50.

Is this thing likely to either:

1: Frazzle my laptop (or)
2: Drain my car's battery in an instant.
1. Unlikely - your laptop PSU should protect the laptop.
2. No.

However, are you absolutely sure that the input consumed by the laptop power supply is only 75W? The label on my Dell laptop power supplies both state 75W for the output, but "130-170VA" for the input.

I can think of two other negative aspects of that particular product:

1. It appears to have no earth connection, which could be hazardous if someone plugged in an appliance with a metal casing and that had an earth fault.

2. I daresay that it doesn't regulate and/or condition its power output in the way that a more expensive device does, with the result that you risk damaging the laptop power supply.

As with almost everything, you gets what you pays for.

Softus said:
2. I daresay that it doesn't regulate and/or condition its power output in the way that a more expensive device does, with the result that you risk damaging the laptop power supply.

and i bet its got a horrible square sine wave :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back