Powering power tools from car

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How dumb is it to power a power tool, say a jigsaw, from the cigarette lighter socket using a 12v to 240v inverter? There are rare times I need to cut a small amount of wood at the shop car park to fit it in the car. I don't have any battery powered tools and don't want to buy them if I don't have to. Hand tools would be too slow and might cause a complaint. I am thinking of doing a quick ninja cut and done before anyone has time to react.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Unless you are thinking of using a jigsaw, the Inverter would cost the sort of money you'd pay for a half decent battery powered circular saw.

Have you thought of second hand?

? There are rare times I need to cut a small amount of wood at the shop car park to fit it in the car

When I have had that "problem" the shop ( wood yard ) have loaned me a hand saw. Bit unfair as they offer to do the cutting for young female blondes

Better clamping Inverter direct to battery otherwise you might melt the cars wiring. I've run a 700w angle grinder like that - in the days when wheel clamping was allowed.

Sponsored Links
Unless you are thinking of using a jigsaw, the Inverter would cost the sort of money you'd pay for a half decent battery powered circular saw.

Have you thought of second hand?

I have too much junk and have no room for more. If an inverter would work, then I can get one from china for double the price of the cheapest hand saw.

When I have had that "problem" the shop ( wood yard ) have loaned me a hand saw. Bit unfair as they offer to do the cutting for young female blondes

Tell them you have a young blonde sister. Perhaps they will do half the cut for you?

Better clamping Inverter direct to battery otherwise you might melt the cars wiring. I've run a 700w angle grinder like that - in the days when wheel clamping was allowed.

I can do better and bring a couple of stand by car batteries along. Good job mentioning that and saving my car!

It's some years some I had dealings with inverters so things could a little different nowadays.
What wattage is your power tool? Your need to buy an inverter that is at least 20% more output than the tool rating which is likely to be more than the capability of the 12v socket outlets in your car which is typically 120watts. Also you have to consider that most inverters outputs is not a sine wave which also affects how the mains tool works. To buy a true sine wave output inverter with at least 250watt output you are talking bundle of cash more than buying a cordless tool, batteries and charger. You also need one that connects directly to your car battery just to get sufficient input power.

My little jigsaw is 450W. If the other chap can plug in an angle grinder, then there should be enough power for a small jigsaw. Rather than plugging into the car, I just bring the spare car batteries.

450watts at 230v is 37.5 amps at 12v plus 20% allowance is 45amps if you don't blow fuses you are likely to burn out wiring. External batteries will work just make sure you get a big enough inverter.

How dumb is it to power a power tool, say a jigsaw, from the cigarette lighter socket using a 12v to 240v inverter? There are rare times I need to cut a small amount of wood at the shop car park to fit it in the car. I don't have any battery powered tools and don't want to buy them if I don't have to. Hand tools would be too slow and might cause a complaint. I am thinking of doing a quick ninja cut and done before anyone has time to react.
I've never had a complaint from Wickes/Jewsons etc when I've got me saw out in their carpark, besides a decent handsaw will rip through anything in no time.

Last edited:
My saw-ability must be pretty bad. The last time I was given a saw at selco to saw a piece of MDF, the saw giver felt sorry and did the sawing for me instead. If I were to buy a decent hand saw, it would be close to the price of a cheap inverter. An inverter would open other possibilities for my existing tools. If one car battery isn't enough power, I have two. Or three if I add in the one on the car.

My saw-ability must be pretty bad. The last time I was given a saw at selco to saw a piece of MDF, the saw giver felt sorry and did the sawing for me instead. If I were to buy a decent hand saw, it would be close to the price of a cheap inverter. An inverter would open other possibilities for my existing tools. If one car battery isn't enough power, I have two. Or three if I add in the one on the car.
Cheap decent handsaw is £5.

I watched a guy using a starter motor with the shaft made square to drive sockets.

Also seen dynamos used as motors.

However the inverter generator can deliver 2 kW without much of a problem, and for a reasonable time with very little fuel, so hardly worth the effort to connect up a static inverter.

To run my sons 3 kW inverter we had 3 x 140 Ah batteries, OK on a narrow boat, not really an option with a car.

Sponsored Links
Back