Installation of an inverter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a small appliance motor of which has no label on it,
It has an internal battery of 12v & its charger for it has a label of 240v 8amp

I would like to use this appliance in the rear of my car where my car battery is at the front of the car.

I have a 2000w inverter of which i would like to use,2000w may seem extreme but other that that i would need to buy a smaller item,what are your thoughts on this ?

So my question is connecting the inverter to run my charger which will be plugged into the appliance.

I can use tools no problem & can install it fine but not sure about installation of the inverter under the bonnet or wire from front to rear

Sponsored Links
My electrics knowledge is limited. 240v x 8amp = 1920w so a 2000w inverter is enough.

It's working out the amperage of the wire to run from the battery to the inverter and what size inline fuse to use, near the car battery end that I'm not sure on.

I just know wattage / voltage = amperage and thus amps x voltage = wattage etc..

if it's a 12v internal battery, and the car supply is (about) 13v, I can't help wondering if there is enough benefit to whizzing the voltage up to 240, and then dragging it back down to 12v

Sponsored Links
2000W/12V=167A So with losses looking at 180A so minimum cable is 35mm² with this amount of current. We would normally work on a 10 hour rate so you would need 1800 Ah, however you can use smaller we used 3 x 180 Ah batteries with a 3000W inverter and since the high load was for a very short time it did not seem to damage them, but you would need two 180 Ah batteries to take this sort of load, and you would be limited to around 45 minutes to ensure you don't exceed 50% discharge, any more and battery life is very much reduced.

Clearly when being charged as same time it is not drawing as much from the battery, in my case the two 70A alternators on the narrow boat engine reduced the discharge rate.

So in real terms to use the vehicles own battery is a non starter, so you would need a secure battery box vented to outside of car with a 180 Ah battery charged by something like the Ring RSCD30 and then you have to ask why you can't simply charge the battery direct with the same DC to DC inverter?

OK it would only charge at 30A not 150A but since your car's alternator can't supply 150A but can supply 30A that would seem a better option.

Back