Powering outdoor lights from indoor mains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Our house has a PIR floodlight at the back which has recently packed up. The person who installed it drilled a hole in the house to feed the cable through and power it from a socket in our bedroom. Looking at past posts on this forum it seems as though there's nothing wrong with doing that.

I've bought a replacement CFL 36 watt PIR floodlight and would hope that an electrician can do a like for like replacement without having to connect it to the lighting circuit in the house.

2) I have a new light to fasten to our shed which has it's own RCD, the old light is plugged into a socket in the shed.

3) Also the light in our pantry has stopped working and that is supplied from a scoket in the dining room.

If I get an electrican in to do these replacements and repairs who isnt a cowboy, will he be happy to use sockets or insist they are wired into the lighting circuit?

Ta,

R

Sponsored Links
Lighting is meant to be permanent and hence why us sparks like to wire it in to lighting circuits with a switch to operate.

I would (if I was doing your work) prefer to do as I've just mentioned or as an alternative provide fused spur boxes of the ring main circuit, with a 3a (red) fuse in each.

It is acceptable to do as you have, but its not very convenient having to access the dinning room socket to plug in /out your larder light for instance.

You should also consider, that if you ever come to sell then none of the 3 lights that you wish to use plugs on can be thought of as correctly wired.

Ultimately it's your choice and I'd take your money and do it your way.

Sponsored Links
The first light I think I would put a fused spur next to the socket its plugged into fed from that socket.The shed light I would do the same thing from the socket in the shed and the last light if by pantry you mean big food cupboard I would either have it wired on the lighting circuit or get one of them battery lights or LED lights from tescoes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back