powermax 140ss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
any help here would be great,ok i have the above beast.
problem is boiler fires up heats water ok then when heating radiators goes to lockout,although radiators are quiet hot but not hot enough,boiler trys to fire a few times then lockout.
the gas can be heard to light for a second then repeat then lockout.
pressure at 1.5 bars.serviced by bgas 9 months ago,that is when i bought this property.
just need some advice please.many thanks.great forum.

Sponsored Links
Check if the central heating pump is working.

If not check the central heating thrmistor/temperature sensor

Sponsored Links
looking at the amount of powermax problems and oxford i have opted not to pay for any repairs and get a decent combi fitted,ok a lot of pipes to be run,getting the beast taken out will give me loads of extra space in my flat.
thanks all.

That is quite an old boiler.

They are quite troublesome over a longer period and replacing it would not be a bad idea.

However if you wanted you could cash in on the BG breakdown cover and get it kept running for the same cost as anyone with a nice new Vaillant!

Tony

just bear in mind the hot water delivery on the powermax will outperform most average combis. So you will probably want to get something at least nearly as good not to be disapointed.

That is quite an old boiler.

They are quite troublesome over a longer period and replacing it would not be a bad idea.

However if you wanted you could cash in on the BG breakdown cover and get it kept running for the same cost as anyone with a nice new Vaillant!

Tony

sadly ( ;) ) as you cant easily trace the flues on these, acceptance onto contract is more difficult now. coupled with the safety issues, a new boiler is definitely the safest option.

agile and gavinda,thanks for reply.
agile the words bg and oxford do not really fill me with confidence. although bg have been trained on these i read in past posts,i would love to put it on a bg contract if only they would gurantee to send an experienced powermax savvy engineer,not any random engineer/sales agent that their computer system sends out.
sorry random = inexperienced on powermaxs.
i also see bg often send out contractors (on price work) to do annual service checks on their contracts are these guys trained to work on these boilers ?.
the development i live in has 12 powermax boilers and bg have a reserved parking space in car park.
one neighbour wants to buy my old boiler for spares,so bye bye powermax.

yes the beast (powermax 140) is now history.
go a nice remeha combi in kitchen now,i helped the installer man handle it out of my flat,i told him to leave it outside the communal entrance and wait for the neighbours comments.well no complaints from neighbours but he got 3 jobs and several leads some very defnite.
jokingly i said i expect comission at £100 per new job on this estate,his reply no probs and deducted £300 from my bill. :D :D :D
these powermax boilers take up so much space and by removing the partition wall has provided so much more space.
this installer is happy to box in the new pipes and do basic decoration so no need to call in other trades,good lad. :D :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back