Powermax 155 - No Heating Water Only

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Proud owner of a PowerMax 155 which has been trouble free since installation in 2002. Now only have hot water, no central heating. Has power supplied (orange light on) gas supplied, but cannot get burner to light and stay on. Tried the re-set but now there is no display at all on the programmer (blank screen). Trying to establish if this is linked to a DIY disaster at weekend when I drilled though a downstairs light cable behind stud wall (muppet). Tripped and blew lighting ciruit but was unaware until the morning that the heating had failed. Is it possible that interuption of supply has (less than 24 hours) has caused problems with circuit. any ideas and advice would be greatly appreciated, especially as the colder weather approacher ... brrrrr Cashers!

Sponsored Links
It will have killed the clock, check the voltage to it then replace it.

Thanks for prompt reply. Can you help clarify for a PowerMax novice why a failed clock only affects CH but not hot water. Is there any chance that there is a problem with the CH pump as well - a common theme on this forum. Would be my worst case scenario if the clock/programmer (P458) is replaced and then it turns out pump is also faulty - heating/plumbing engineer called out was not confident that the programmer/clock would fix the problem - hence my visit to this forum. Thanks for your advice.

Could be the pump but i would of expected them to have checked the pump was running and spinning freely when checking the boiler over but 80% of these not working on CH but fine for HW turns out to be the CH pump (Left i think) i am sure these are the ones with the twin pumps where grunthos now wilo? varriable speed on heating but fixed on hw.

Sponsored Links
a powermax trouble free for 6 years - you must be a very very lucky person!

once the thermal store gets up to temp it'll start the c/h pump, therefore if the pump won't run the boiler will cycle on/off.

blank clock could well be another problem, happens to me sometimes at work, turn the electrics off to do other work and the clock won't come back on.

which pump is which can sometimes be anyones guess if you'd have some of the shockingly bad installations i've seen. just see which one runs on your h/w.

If the clock has no display or the red lights are dimmer it will need replacing, following that there could be a fault with the pump or the store stat. Personally would have linked out the connections on the clock to test.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back