PP for garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know much about PP for garages?

What I'd like is a detached block built triple garage with tiled apex roof 4m (so no planning needed), garden is large so no worries about percentage of space.

Could I also board the rafters at this height and have standing height in the apex and fit a loft ladder for storage?

Would also like plumbing for utility use hand washing and laundry and would like basic electrics dedicated consumer unit with a few lights and sockets.

At what point does planning become a requirement, ie if I add, plumbing and insulation for all year round use, at what point will the council think it's being used for habitation?

Being honest, what I'd like is a multispace, so space for vehicles and take them out for dry workshop on occasions, with dry storage above or possible garden room for home worker/artist studio etc. But I realise that someone else may see value in the future as a possible annex so I want to build it ideally on the cheap without PP but allow someone to make easy conversion (add heating/hot water etc) if that's there thing at some point in the future

I've tried looking through all the planning info on various sites and its not very straightforward to me.

Also does any builders have a rough idea of cost? I've spoken to a builder and he seemed to think it would be region of £5k, honestly I thought more like £15-£20k...

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You don't tell the council you would be putting in insulation/plumbing/electrics/heating/fitted carpets/microwave/fridge-freezer and ensuite, otherwise they might just think you are building something to let out to m******s.
As long as you keep within the height/distance requirements, you are constructing a curtilage building which does not need P.P. and therefore no need to worry the council about it.
If it's over 30 sq m, you would need Building Regs approval, but would be well advised to use a private firm for this rather than the council, for obvious reasons.
£5k for a building that size? I'd be inclined to avoid that builder.

Last edited:
It may just be easier to establish what you want as the end goal and look at the Planning/Building Regulation implications respectively. With a 4m apex, you’d also need to factor in meeting the structural, fire and thermal regulations should you decide to do those ‘enhanced’ works now or later.

Sponsored Links
Re cost - building a 28sqm garage at the moment myself (no charged-in labour except £200 to dig out the base). Mine is pitch roof, brick front aspect/single skin block back/sides to be then clad in cembrit plank, on concrete raft with slate roof. Total cost including garage door, some windows etc will come in near enough to around £10K materials only. This breaks down roughly to £2K reinforced raft - dig out + sub-base + reinf + concrete, £1.5K bricks/blocks etc, £2.5K slates/roofline etc, £650 trusses, £1K garage door, £1K windows, £1.2K cladding, plus other odds and ends.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back