Pre or post skim

D

dextrous

Am currently replacing the skirting boards in a room. Obviously, the old plaster has come away from when I removed the old boards, and the new skirtings will be shorter than them. In the past I've tended to fill the holes and skimmed down to ground level before putting new skirting on.

Just wondering if anyone recommends doing it the other way - put bonding on, fix skirting, then skim down to this.

Whaddya think?

Sponsored Links
Repair the bottom of the wall Dexty,,, then put on your new skirting. Leave a small gap between the bottom of the wall and the floor,, you'll know that anyway. ;)

Roughcaster.

Repair the bottom of the wall Dexty,,, then put on your new skirting. Leave a small gap between the bottom of the wall and the floor,, you'll know that anyway. ;)

Roughcaster.
Thanks - was just thinking of doing it the old way (before caulk was invented ;) )

I'm with RC, I wouldn’t skim down to a new skirting. I always repair the bottom of the wall, skim the lot & then fix the new skirting; mostly use grab adhesive these days. A quick squirt with a caulk gun will hide any small discrepancies.

Edit; didn't see your post before replying :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I'm with RC, I wouldn’t skim down to a new skirting. I always repair the bottom of the wall, skim the lot & then fix the new skirting; mostly use grab adhesive these days. A quick squirt with a caulk gun will hide any small discrepancies.

Edit; didn't see your post before replying :LOL:
Thanks Richard- glad to see you've cheered up now ;) :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back