pre-registered vehicles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what does being a pre-registered vehicle usually mean? Is it some kind of car dealer scam? Why do dealers register new vehicles before sale?

Sponsored Links
They could be on the demo fleet..OR... its so they get the quota with the manufacture & get a better discount..ie if discount comes in at car 10 & they have sold 9, if they register car 10 before month end (ie owned now by the dealer) they increase the discounts on cats already sold.

I think they can also claim some of the VAT back as well which does make it cheaper than buying a new one.

Diyisfun said:
(ie owned now by the dealer)

This is correct but, in my experience, they are not registered by the dealer so if you buy one you are still the first registered owner.

As I say, this is only my experience and may not be the situation with all dealers.

Sponsored Links
I bought a Ford a few years ago & the 1st keeper was recorded as Ford.

DforDave said:
This is correct but, in my experience, they are not registered by the dealer so if you buy one you are still the first registered owner.

If your logbook has you as the sole owner, then your car is not pre-reg.
If your car is - to all intents and purposes brand new (ie latest reg, v low mileage etc) - but your name & address are the second entry on the logbook, (with the supplying dealer as the first) then it is pre-reg.

Pre-reg cars are very cheap compared to BN, for this reason. You don't have the kudos of a logbook with only your name on.

You pays your money, you takes your pick.

Each and every individual new car dealer are given targets by the manufacturer, if these targets are met then the manufacturer will give insentives & bonuses to that dealer.

i.e If a dealers target is to sell and register 50 new cars in a given month, and they have only sold & delivered 40 then the dealer will normally register 10 "pre-registered" vehicles to make up the shortfall. Now because of the extra target bonuses received they can then offer these for sale with big discounts to joe public :) this is NO scam, its just good business sense and everybody wins.

Pre-reg vehicles will only have delivery mileage (legal delivery mileage for a new car is 0-200 miles)

I have spent many years as a sales manager for main dealers, and this is normal/common practice within the motor industry.

Sponsored Links
Back