Pre-winter Loft insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We just been talking about adding some insulation to our loft...

Currently there is some horrid fibre (the itchy stuff) laid between the joists/trusses.... not very thick as the joists are only 3x2....

the middle section of the loft i've already boarded out to store, empty suitcases, and xmas decorations... so can t really do much with that area... however.... The main sides are just exposed to the roof felt, and each end is an outside wall (Detached)....

My thaughts are to use some of that Silver bubble wrap stuff and staple to the roof slopes, then add some more roll insulation to the side area of the loft space. Does this sound ok? What should or could I do with the end walls? anything? nothing?

Also there is an area above the bathroom that has recessed spot lights, How can i insulate over them? Are there any covers that i could get to fit over the light fitting for me to then be able to lat new insulation over?

One last thing, there are cables running over the top of current fibre insulation, can i just cover over these with the new stuff?

Just trying to do our save the planet but here and reduce our Carbon footprint...

Thanks for reading, look forward to the replies...

Rgds

MA

Sponsored Links
you can put a large terra-cotta (pottery) flower pot over each downlighter to prevent the insulation floping onto it (this is not a joke) and cut a hole in the insulation to allow hot air to escape.

Cables are best clipped to the timbers and not buried in insulation. However, it is not a problem with lighting cables (though prefearable not to), but you must not bury the cables for electric showers, as they are heavily loaded and will overheat.

SO I guess the cables for the spots/Downlighters can come out the the drain hole in the plantpot....??? Isnt thier an actual propper item for this job? maybe something a little lighter (No pun intended) than a plant pot?

As for the cables, most are clipped to the inner joists of the roof (Sides of), and the current Itchy stuff already is against them, so I guess a little more insulation wont harm.... Its all lighting cables anyway, Only mains upto the loft runs up the outside wall, across one of the roof beams to the Coms box .... There are however many CAT5e, CAT6, CAT7, and Coax cables loosly laid ontop of the itchy stuff....

Point taken about the Shower Cable.... Good job ive left a little slack in this when it was put in.... i can slide new insulation under it....

let the downlighter cable come out under the side of the pot, then you can lift them off if you need to.

You can get a smoke hood if you want, though this is designed for a different purpose and will fill itself with expanding foam if it gets hot enough. It is supposed to delay smoke and fire passing through the ceiling where the plasterboard barrier has been penetrated by the lamp.

Sponsored Links
ok got the jist if the plant pots, but wouldnt mind a few pointers about the insulation side of things...

Double sided, or single sided Alu bubble roll for rafters? much difference?

Do I need to make the whole thing air tight from top of roof to just above the air bricks? (They are just behind guttering BTW)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back