Premium Bonds.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As some of you dabble with them can any of you answer a question?
I've googled it but not got an answer from there, just how to buy/sell them, the odds of winning and other useless bits of info.
My question is this;
All premium bonds have an individual number allotted to that bond. If you sell some bonds are those numbers re-issued to another bond/someone else or are those numbers discarded for a set period of time, (say 20 or 30 years)?

Sponsored Links
If you sell some bonds are those numbers re-issued to another bond/someone else or are those numbers discarded for a set period of time, (say 20 or 30 years)?

I don't believe the numbers are ever re-used.

the article is deliberately written to be misleading.

It says "nearly 75% had won nothing since records began in 2007 - despite holding a combined total of more than £80bn in the accounts"

However the £80billion is not the amount held by the unlucky non-winners.

it was the amount held, in total, by all holders, including the many plumbers and retired motor mechanics with the maximum £50,000 holding.

A lot of holders were given £10 or so as a christening present, maybe 50 years ago or more, and have never increased their holding.

Further down, the article says "The amount of money held in Premium Bonds rose from just under £88.5billion last March"

Tell me

If I buy 50,000 lottery tickets, and you buy 50, or ten, or five

Which of us can expect to win more?

Sponsored Links
One of last months million pound winners only bought the winning bond in February so they had only been in the April draw before winning the following month.

It says "nearly 75% had won nothing since records began in 2007 - despite holding a combined total of more than £80bn in the accounts"

it was the amount held, in total, by all holders, including the many with the maximum £50,000 holding.

A lot of holders were given £10 or so as a christening present, maybe 50 years ago or more, and have never increased their holding.

Further down, the article says "The amount of money held in Premium Bonds rose from just under £88.5billion last March"

Tell me

If I buy 50,000 lottery tickets, and you buy 50, or ten, or five

Which of us can expect to win more?

Sorry are you trying to make yourself sound intelligent? Others can read also,

It states in the article "Unsurprisingly, those who hold more money in Premium Bonds have a better chance of winning."

Which surely is common sense?

what sort of dummy posts a link to a misleading article in the Fail?

Oh.

this sort.

Of the top 20 prize winners this month, 9 are noldng the maximum amount of £50k and only three are holding less than £30k. Of course you are 49,999 times more likely to win a prize if you hold the maximum amount compared to someone who holds just 1 bond.

Of the top 20 prize winners this month, 9 are noldng the maximum amount of £50k and only three are holding less than £30k. Of course you are 49,999 times more likely to win a prize if you hold the maximum amount compared to someone who holds just 1 bond.

Actually, taking the statistics away, you will have a 50/50 chance of winning a prize in a raffle draw no matter how many tickets you have bought.

Statistically, (yes that magic word that can produce any figure you want if you phrase the question correctly), you obviously will have more of 'a chance' if you have more tickets but your odds are still 50/50. You will or you won't.

what we need to keep in mind the percentages off loss are miniscule compared to other forms off gambling
although the possible gains for your say 10 100 or 1k stake are far far less you keep your stake and have perhaps several dozen to several thousand entries with no loss off stake just the lack off fund increase but that the gamble off the bonds but at least there is no percent on paying others profits
no percent on tax
no percent on agency or commission
from memory the national lottery gives about 55-60% back in prizes the rest is rake off for running it
with premium bonds no entry cost just the loose crumbs that fall off the table used from several thousand loaves to feed others in a random way

Will they be raising the rates on PB's?????

Your government sets the Prize Fund on Premium Bonds, and the interest rate on National Savings accounts, to attract the amount of money they want to raise.

They have been paying less than the rate of inflation, and the mugs keep throwing money into the accounts. You are paying for security, not for interest. The government is inflating away the value of its debt, and making a profit out of the savers.

Only if a time comes when the government can't attract enough deposits, will they increase the prize fund.

bear in mind that the government has been able to borrow money at almost zero % interest rate, so it doesn't really care if you or I take a bit out.

Actually, taking the statistics away, you will have a 50/50 chance of winning a prize in a raffle draw no matter how many tickets you have bought.

Statistically, (yes that magic word that can produce any figure you want if you phrase the question correctly), you obviously will have more of 'a chance' if you have more tickets but your odds are still 50/50. You will or you won't.

I see you don't understand probability, or odds, or statistics.

perhaps you are joking.

Your government sets the Prize Fund on Premium Bonds, and the interest rate on National Savings accounts, to attract the amount of money they want to raise.

They have been paying less than the rate of inflation, and the mugs keep throwing money into the accounts. You are paying for security, not for interest. The government is inflating away the value of its debt, and making a profit out of the savers.

Only if a time comes when the government can't attract enough deposits, will they increase the prize fund.

bear in mind that the government has been able to borrow money at almost zero % interest rate, so it doesn't really care if you or I take a bit out.

i suspect the value off everyone's saving and value off the pound in general has reduced by perhaps 3-8% because off printing money [quantitive easing ] in recent rounds this will be part off the reason for so much inflation connected to brexit and covid costs giving nearer perhaps 15% increase on basics cost that in turn effect the poorest by perhaps 20- 25% as the can only survive day to day scrimping lowest cost option then superboosted to perhaps 30-35% reduction in income by energy inflation :oops:

Either you don't understand odds or you are having a wee giggle. Saying "you will either win or you won't" is merely making a statement and not calculating the odds.

Sponsored Links
Back