Preparation for new floor, kitchen cupboard dilemma.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want a new floor covering for my kitchen which presently has tiles. I have decided on the 5mm LVTs which means the tiles need to come up. I will carry out the preparation by removing a radiator, skirting board, appliances and some of the single cupboards. There are two roughly L shaped runs of cupboards with worktop on diagonally opposite sides of the kitchen that I don't want to remove but these sit on top of the tiles.. However the person who will be taking the tiles up/screeding and the one who will be laying the tiles tell me they need the vertical ends of each end cupboard removing so the LVTs can go beneath them.
The only way I can see, is to buy adjustable feet to fit beneath each cupboard so I can remove the end board. I will also have to fit temporary props to support the worktop while the work is done. Eventually I would fit new end boards anyway as the colour is not what I want.
I would be interested to hear if anyone else has had this issue and if they have any advice.
TIA

Sponsored Links
I want the existing floor tiles in my kitchen lifting, and screeded in preparation for the laying of LVTs. I will be carrying out the preparation by removing skirting, appliances, single cupboards. Problem is that the remaining cupboards are sat on the tiles. The floorers say they need the vertical ends of each run of cupboards removing. The only solution I can see is to fit these adjustable feet under each bottom board and temorary props above them to support the worktop while the ends are removed and the contractors do their work.. Anyone else had this dilemma? Any advice?

Last edited:
could use 2x2 and some shims, or buy some suitable adjustable legs.
I’d empty the cupboards if there is a lot of heavy stuff in there?

Because I have one, I used a motorbike jack to do similar.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Do the cupboards not have feet then?

A photo or two would help

Surely the panels in question are decor panels and therefore not structural? You need to pull the plinths off and check if there are feet under the lower cabinets, as @CBW suggests (I'd be very surprised if there weren't). The upper cabinets will be most likely hung on wall hanging plates using adjustable hook units (basically a rectangular "lump" in each of the top corners inside the upper cabs). Decor panels generally confer no strength to the units and are normally just screwed in place from the insides of the cabinets (screws may be hidden behind shelves, hinge mounting plates, etc).

The other thing is that it should also be possible to trim the bottoms of the decor panels in situ using a multi tool to allow the LVT tiles to be slid under just like you'd slide tile or laminate floor under skirtings (the cut edges of the decor panels will need sealing well before fitting the tiles, though). However, I do think for 3 to 6mm LVT that it would be complete overkill. I am tempted to ask why the floorer can't just cut the LVT tiles to the decor panels. Our floorer seems capable of doing that even when working around crazy Victorian plinth blocks and the like whilst simultanouusly producing a black and white Victorian style "tile" pattern

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I've already taken the plinth boards off and there are no feet, and the weight of the worktop is purely on the decor panels. There are some wall hanging brackets and the cabinets themselves are fixed to the wall with brackets.
The floor tile fitter may well be able to fit up the the decor panels but the fella taking the tiles up and screeding seems to want to go inside the footprint of the cupboards which he will be unable to do with the decor panels in place and I don't want to be disconnecting sinks or long lengths of worktop as I simply have no room to store them during the work.

Tigercubrider that's what I'm thinking of doing. Just wanted to know if this is a common issue. Thinking of supporting it as described and breaking the tiles immediately under each decor board just to make it easier for the screeder.

I've already taken the plinth boards off and there are no feet, and the weight of the worktop is purely on the decor panels.
In that case I suspect that the end panels are not decor panels at all - they are structural, i.e. part of the cabinet, which to my mind sounds like they may even be home made cabinets. Either way, if they are structural you don't wantvto take them out. And again, a photo will help confirm this as your description alone isn't really enough to determine what it is you have

This is not a common occurrence in kitchens, and if you start hacking away at the end panels you may run into all sorted of issues

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back