Preparation for paving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hoping someone can help me with an issue I'm having with my garden. It's only 10m x 4m and was originally paved with concrete slabs. I took these up last year and found a hardcore base left over from the original build. I then added about 3 inch of top soil and turfed it all. I thought 3" would be enough as this is what is at the front of the house and there are no problems here.

Anyway, since then the grass has been virtually killed off. There are pools of water everywhere where it isn't drainign properly and our dogs urine is killing it much quicker than I thought. The end result is that the missus has decided she wants it paved with Riven flags.

What will be the best way to do this. Can I just lay some weed control sheets over the grass and then add a few tonne of hardcore and compact it all down. I could then lay the new flags on cement. The extra height would help the drainage and since the hardcore would be free it wouldn't cost me much. Or will I have to lift the turf and topsoil and then add hardcore. Suggestions welcomed as I don't want to spend a fortune on such a small area............

Sponsored Links
You need to lift the turf and topsoil so you have a clean base. then add some hardcore if needed. you ideally want a 4'' base of hardcore for a paved area like that.

Thanks. I was hoping to avoid lifting the turf and soil but guess I'll have to get it done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back