Raising level of garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I need to level off the ground so that the turf i am going to lay is level with the patio and the driveway (see pic below. The image has roated so sorry for that!)

The depth i need to make up is 11cm

2.5 cm will be the width of the turf, which means i have 8.5cm depth to fill in order to get me to the level to where the turf will go.

I was proposing to do the following (based on the depth of 11cm to fill):

1. 3 cm hardcore type 1 compacted down with a wacker plate
2. 5.5cm of topsoil straight on top of the type 1 hardcore followed by ...
3. Turf on top of topsoil (2.5cm depth)

I am after your thoughts on doing it this way around?

Thanks

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As the end result will be turf - I would forget the type 1 and use all topsoil, especially at that depth. From what I have read, 50mm is considered the minimum depth for topsoil.

If type 1 was used under a shallow depth of topsoil, personally I would be concerned that the turf would dry out quickly during dry weather, and the opposite of potentially retaining standing water in heavy rain making it boggy.

I wouldn't leave the 2.5cm for the turf, make it less as the soil will keep compacting over the next few months and will invariably end up lower than the level that you lay it at.

Also agree with the above, just use topsoil and forget the type 1, turff will do so much better with 100mm of soil to grow on.

I wouldn't leave the 2.5cm for the turf, make it less as the soil will keep compacting over the next few months and will invariably end up lower than the level that you lay it at.

Also agree with the above, just use topsoil and forget the type 1, turff will do so much better with 100mm of soil to grow on.

Okay great, Thanks for the help.

So you think I should just lay the soil so that it is level with the driveway and patio? I was planning on using a wacker plate to compact the soil, but rough it up with a rake before i lay the turf? Would it still sink if i use a wacker plate to compact the soil? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you use a whacker plate you run the risk of over compacting the soil which will prevent the grass roots from penetrating very deeply, and so more likely to dry out in dry weather.
You'd be best to lay down your topsoil to about the same as your patio level,and then tread it down. Make up any low areas back up to patio height, and tread these again. Then lightly rake just to break up the surface before you lay your turf. Over time the ground will most likely settle back to patio height
And don't forget to water frequently until the turf is fully established.
Have fun.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back