Preparing a first floor original flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I am writing to seek some advice from more experienced people on how to deal with a little DIY project.

I have recently purchased a house (circa 1930). I also have a little baby and of course not much money to spend in professionals so I am trying to get as much done as possible by myself.

I removed the chip laminate in stairs landing and found the original (pine I guess) floor boards. These are not too bad, and I am considering to work on them, rather to get the landing carpeted.

I have been doing some research on the forum and I can see that the first steps to do would be:

1) Cover the wholes between boards (ie: wedging glued wood)
2) Sand and level everything
3) User water based varnish to colour the paint
4) Seal the wood using wax

My main question is: Since it is a first floor, would it be convenient to do some kind of insulation beneath the floor boards? There was an insulating sheet between the laminate and the floor.

Do you have any recommendations on products?

Do you have any advise/suggestions on my plan of work?

Thansk a lot in advance.

Sponsored Links
it is best to place insulation between the floor and the wood. the insulation will help to protect the wood from the floor itself and to give the wood a little bit of space to move as weight, age and wood settlement appears.
best would be to take a sample of the wood or a photo to a local hardware store and ask for the right type of insulation.
good luck! :)

it is best to place insulation between the floor and the wood. the insulation will help to protect the wood from the floor itself and to give the wood a little bit of space to move as weight, age and wood settlement appears.
best would be to take a sample of the wood or a photo to a local hardware store and ask for the right type of insulation.
good luck! :)

Thanks for your answer. I have been looking in the internet but I cannot see how would you install insulation in a first floor. In a ground floor I have seen some king of mesh being used. In my case though I have the original flooring directly above the beams.

I will follow your advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back