Preparing a newish wall for emulsion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The walls of the room I want to emulsion were replastered about 10 months ago and so far have been whitewashed.

With this in mind, what preparation do I need to do?

After going over a small area with a sanding sponge I can feel that it is smoother but will this make a difference in terms of a noticeably better finish? In fact, would it be worse?

Regardless, should I wipe down the walls with a damp sponge? I'm assuming that I don't need to use sugar soap because the walls are fairly new.

I've got a whole house to do up cosmetically and time is running out, I want to do a decent job but don't want to spend a lot of time doing something extra that only yields slightly better results.

I must say, I've spent quite a bit of time researching into how to paint and can see there's a lot of conflicting information out there. I guess everyone has got their own way of doing things and there may not be a right or wrong answer.

I just want to feel that I've done the right thing and produced a decent job.

Thanks and hope you can help.

Sponsored Links
If its had a mist coat then all i would do it repair any holes that may have appeared and rub down any inperfections. I wouldn't think sugar soap would be needed unless the walls were greasy which only really happens in kitchens or if your a smoker.

Buy a decent roller sleeve, that will give you a nice finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back