Preparing for a plasterer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Firstly please allow me to apologise for the numerous questions. There is a lot going on at the moment and I need as much help as I can get!

Our first room is almost prepared for plastering. The majority of the wallpaper has been removed (all three layers of it), the skirting boards are up and the coving has been taken down.

Getting the wallpaper off around the windows has been fiddly and as you can see some still remains. Whilst removing this it got me thinking about the window trim and the sealant that has been used when installing the windows.

In order to achieve the best possible finish is it better for me to remove this sealant and the trim it's attached to to give the plasterer the flattest surface to work with? Once he's done I can then source new window trim and seal as required. As you can see from one of the attached pictures some trim has been damaged (not our doing!).

If the preferred option is to remove the sealant what would be the best way of doing this? Do I simply just cut it away?

Thanks again for any help

David

Attachments

• DSC_1501.JPG
    DSC_1501.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC_1499.JPG
    DSC_1499.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 155
Sponsored Links
Personally I'd remove the trim and discard it, plaster behind e line where it's replacement will go and fit new

If plaster isn't going up to a metal bead then the edges will always be a bit messy. You ideally want the plaster to start behind the trim and be a nice surface by the point it is in line with the trim so that when the trim goes on it's neat. Otherwise you're buggering about with caulk etc and trying to cover up/fill in

If you can't remove just that edge piece of trim and don't fancy removing the entire thing, I'd be tempted to use an angle gringer to cut at an angle down the entire length of it, near where it joins the wall, cutting off the sealant, the messy paper and a tiny bit of trim etc, get the plaster as far under it as it'll go then put a smooth bead of caulk on when decorating, or silicone on after decorating

Be careful with angle grinders; massively useful but they're easily one of the most dangerous power tools a person can own. If you don't fancy it, use a good quality Stanley knife instead and cut down the sealant with the knife parallel to the trim and also parallel with the wall. Most the sealant should en come away. This doesn't recess the trim to get plaster under it, but by the time the plaster is on and flatted, then decorated and a new bead of sealant applied it shouldn't look much different

Last edited:
As above take all the trim off, plasterer should do the rest, common now to skim up to a stop bead against the window so it's all bang on. No need for trim after plastering obviously as its to cover up when you replace windows but don't replaster the reveals. Bin the trim and over to the plasterer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back