Preparing for Sandtex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have pebbledash exterior walls and I've been advised to seal them with PVA before sandtexing them. Does this have to be a waterproof PVA or can a general one like No nonsense from screwfix be used. This seems to have an excellent review but I'm not sure if it is waterproof and suitable for the job. Would appreciate any tips please.

Sponsored Links
I certainly would not use PVA,
A coat of stablising solution to stop the render dusting, prior to painting Sandtex ( 2 Coats)

as above. If its a dusty surface, previously painted, definitely seal with a stabiliser..other wise, hose it down, wait to dry, then two coats. I used a cheaper white for the first coat followed by Sandtex cream colour..looks great.

Sponsored Links
No. It was someone with the same exterior who has used diluted PVA 1/5 before Sandtexing and swears by it. Apparently it acts as a bond to reduce the pebbledash dropping off and also forms a waterproof barrier. His house does look great and has been done for a few years now.
Have since found this thread which also advocates diluted PVA. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=152530 Thanks for your reply will definitely hose it down first.

My thread from a while back helps explain a bit.

//www.diynot.com/diy/threads/mist-coat-or-pva-bare-surface-basics.425261/

As does this image of instructions from probably the best known manufacturer of PVA. Although it states this particular product is for interior use, water based paints should still not be used on exterior versions as the only difference is that it it water proof - it still doesn't accept paints well. I think your neighbour has been one of those fortunate cases.

Thanks for the helpful information.Will pass it on to my hubby before he attempts to paint the outside of the house. ( Notice you are ex Mid Glamorgan too. Hope you enjoyed the great achievement of the Wales boys in EUFA championships... Brilliant!! )

Thanks for the helpful information.Will pass it on to my hubby before he attempts to paint the outside of the house. ( Notice you are ex Mid Glamorgan too. Hope you enjoyed the great achievement of the Wales boys in EUFA championships... Brilliant!! )

Even as much more of a rugby fan, I did indeed watch and enjoy every minute. (Can't get much rugby on tv over here...unless we remortgage the house! :cry:) For a squad of what would be regarded by most as nothing more than 'average players', they proved that it is team spirit and self-belief that is the most important part of success. #togetherstronger

As being from Mid Glam...can you put in a good word with Derek the weatherman for some sunshine between July 28th and August 10th please...we are heading back for a family wedding! (y)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back