Preparing old plaster coving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to start preparing sole plaster coving for repainting (and filling of cracks etc). This isn't the gyproc stuff, it's fairly thick solid plaster stuff.

Anyway the previous owner of the house has covered this in nice shiny gloss paint which will be a pretty poor substrate for a new coat of paint.

I'm wondering whether it's worth the effort of stripping the gloss off with the careful use of a heat gun, or whether sanding it down to key it would do. Both are obviously tedious methods so I want to do whatever will provide the best end result.

What's anyone else think about the use of a heat gun on plaster coving? Are there any other suggestions to prepare the coving for filling of craks and re-painting?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Got some as it happens, is it best to score the paint carefully to allow the solution to do it's job better?

no, maybe- clean with sugar soap solution and wash off ...that`s all ;)

Sponsored Links
I've gone down the sanding route, but I'll clean it with sugar soap solution when I've finished making dust. Cough!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back