what to do with old coving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I'd appreciate your advice as I am decorating the living room in my Edwardian house. I am ok with the paintwork which is wood, I have sanded and used a primer for that but don't know what to do with the coving as it is plaster and whilst I was sanding the walls I noticed some of the paint was loose so I pulled it off. It came off in two areas in great big sections, back to the original plaster! There looks to have been about three layers of gloss over a layer of emulsion, so now I have two different levels. I don't fancy having to strip the whole thing (its a big room and a deep ornate coving) - what should I do, I only want to finish it with white gloss, nothing fancy!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
try filling it with pollyfiller and sand it that should bring it all back to the same level

Welcome to the forum. Ditto leeco,

I do a lot of this sort of restoration and use Gyproc Easifil (but probably can't get it in small enough quantities for you requirements), but Polyfilla will be OK. Fill it quite proud and just work away sanding it to shape, you may need to fill again to get the exact profile. Seal the filler, I use acrylic primer/undercoat and then your finish - jobs a good'un!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back