preparing window frames for finish coats

Thanks, Opps! Your comments on sustained temperature have been noted. Sounds like I need to push this work back as far as I can. I've not been given a date for the top-coating work, but they must have to also wait for a reasonable guarantee of suitable weather, so I should aim to squeeze in a week or so before them.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the Dulux Trade Weathershield primer has a serious flaw. However, other than the raised grained, would you say it was "acceptable"? Or do you think the likes of Superdec are superior?

kind regards.

I haven't tried Superdec so I can't really comment.

The old DT Weathershield solvent based primer was great. You only needed to apply one coat and you could apply the oil based undercoat over it within two hours. If you left it for more than two hours you had to wait until the next day. The new primer- you are supposed to add two coats and wait 16 hours before undercoating.

Oh, and using it on very hot and sunny days is a nightmare. The brush starts to go hard after 30 minutes (cellulose cleans the brush though- water wont).

In site of my rant, the grain swell is acceptable on most woods.

Thanks, opps! So of the DT WS products, the water-based one sounds my best option - albeit with the minor issue with the grain swelling.

To be fair their waterbased undercoat isn't too bad. Today I used it as a first coat on previously painted sliding sash windows but that was as a result of having used lots of CT1 sealant. CT1 is a MS polymer, it is as elastic as silicone sealant but you can paint over it, with the proviso that you precoat it with waterbased paints. If you use oil based straight over them the paint takes months to dry. It actually sands flat fairly well when using Abranet paper.

If you do decide to go down the waterbased route and are not happy with the tramlines (read:brushmarks) then consider adding some Floetrol, it extends the wet edge and helps the (waterbased) paint flow. It isn't cheap though. I use a lot of the oil based version (owatrol).

Sponsored Links
Hi Opps,
I assume you used the the DT water-based product? I can definitely live with "not too bad" :) And if the tramlines are an issue, I will consider Floetrol.

Thanks again!

Hi Opps,
Ignore my question around which product you used. It's clear from your post and the thread you were using DT. Sorry!
kind regards
Neil

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back