Preperation tips needed for sandstone copings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an old Victorian house and outside we have the old sandstone style copings with the little stubs of railings after they were cut out many years ago. What is the best way to prep these for painting as I've tried several times using Sandex paint over the last few years and every year it just looks terrible flaking off in patches with green moss/ green vegetation on the sides in some areas. My window revels and sills to the bay and door surround are all the same sandstone but these don't seem to degrade and look terrible any where near as fast. The paint on them certainly doesnt flake off like the copings stones on the wall.

I generally wash with anti fungal treatment to get rid of green mess then give a good sanding / scrapping to remove all loose paint. Then repaint with a couple of coats, but it always begins to flake off after around a year

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If the stone is powdery or dusty to touch, maybe think about using some stabilizing solution thinned down with white spirit. Or use a pliolite based masonry paint which is self stabilizing.

The only other thing i can think of is moisture. If the stone is pourous, maybe moisture is soaking thru and blowing the paint off when it gets warm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back