Peeling Flaking paint Every year

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Was hoping someone could tell me what i'm doing wrong. Out side the front of my property round the boundry at the front there is a small height wall with sandstone coping stones on top. These used to have the wrought iron railing fixed to them at one time pre war.

Every year i go out i have to scrape the paint off because after about 6 months it just begins to crack and flake and basically after the year's up looks like its never been painted in 10's of years not just 12 months. I have been using Sandex paint, is this paint acceptable or is it more of an issue with the coping's?

Now last year i use Exterior Masonry Stabilising Solution from Wickes but again the same happened again :(

Now i'm looking at tackling it again this weekend so was hoping for some advise maybe something else i should be doing or a better paint to try.

Thanks in advance for any help

Sponsored Links
Flaking and peeling is usually due to moisture issues. Sandstone is very porous and once wet holds moisture for a long time so ensure the coping stones are fully dried out before painting.
It might be wise to seal the stone with something like this: http://zinsseruk.com/shop/Product.aspx?cId=130&pgId=360
It binds the chalky/powdery surface while allowing any trapped moisture to escape and provides a good base for your masonry paint to be applied to.
There shouldn't be any problems using Sandtex, as it too is breathable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back