Prep'ing walls for plaster and/or paint - peeling old paint.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of a problem.

I'm prepping the walls in my lounge for either paint (if they look good) or plaster (if they need it) and have come across a problem.

When i take the old vinyl wallpaper off, the vinyl part comes of fine leaving the base layer which I'm going to steam off. But in some places (quite a few) the whole vinyl, liner and the base layer of paint all come off leaving bare grey plaster.

What it looks like (and i'm guessing here) is that a previous owner didn't key the old plaster properly and the paint just didn't sink in and sat on top.

I've tried the "score the paint and put some duct tape over" test - sure enough, the paint comes away - tried this in a few places - same result.

What are my options here?

The paper is no issue and I can get back to the original paint. But the paint is definitely not stable on the surface and liable to flake off (some parts are OK, others very poor).

Will I have to scrape the whole lot off with a bladed scraper or can I seal it off somehow?

My worry is that I'd just be sealing in a problem rather than fixing it.

I'm happy to have the whole lot plastered rather than painted if this is a better approach, but my worry is that the core issue remains the same and plastering onto an unstable base would cause issues.

I've seen stuff like Zinser123 mentioned in other posts, but again this seems to just seal in the problem - would this work for me?

Its a big room (pair of rooms actually) and I REALLY don't want to have to scrape the lot down as it'll takes ages.

HELP.....

I've attached some pics so you can see what I'm referring to as my description may sound a bit vague :)

Many thanks in advance.

P1010193.jpg

P1010194.jpg

P1010195.jpg

P1010196.jpg

P1010197.jpg
[/img]

I should have added - I would have asked my painter or plasterer, but both are on their hols at the moment (not together I might add :) ) and I'm trying to get this sorted for their return

Sponsored Links
Just get rid of all the old wallpaper & paint etc to the best the wall can be, fill any large holes (filler or browning depending how big). Twice over with PVA and skim the lot with multifinish.

Just get rid of all the old wallpaper & paint etc to the best the wall can be, fill any large holes (filler or browning depending how big). Twice over with PVA and skim the lot with multifinish.

So just get rid of the loose stuff (paint)?

Wont the lack of adhesion with the remaining be an issue?

If not - fantastic! makes the whole thing a lot easier!

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back