prepping for a plasterer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
having the kitchen done tomorrow? what do I need to do to prep it for the trowlie?

I've scraped off all the blown bits back to the brick, but not the entire wall.. the bit that's left is solid and sound.. I couldn't be bothered to chisel it off..

some numpty siliconed T+G round the bottom of the walls as a sort of waiscote.. taking it off has resulted in blotches where it's taken the skim coat off.. would a good scraping to just shift any loose bits be ok?

will I need to shift all the bits of wallpaper on the bit's that are sound, or will he do the whole wall?

Sponsored Links
having the kitchen done tomorrow? what do I need to do to prep it for the trowlie?

some numpty siliconed T+G round the bottom of the walls as a sort of waiscote.. taking it off has resulted in blotches where it's taken the skim coat off.. would a good scraping to just shift any loose bits be ok?

will I need to shift all the bits of wallpaper on the bit's that are sound, or will he do the whole wall?

yes & yes , he would re-skim the whole wall if you ask him to.

damn it.. what I meant was "can i leave the bits of paper on the bits of plaster that are sound, or will he do the whole wall?"

damn it.. what I meant was "can i leave the bits of paper on the bits of plaster that are sound, or will he do the whole wall?"

In the absence of a lot of the Grand Masters (as 'tis the holiday season ;) ) I would suspect you must get all the paper off. Otherwise when it is skimmed the paper will soak up the water, come away and not allow good adhesion for the plaster.
I would suspect that your experienced plasterer would notice this and require it off before he started the job.

Sponsored Links
It depends on what you're up to CJ. If he's just touching up the dodgy bits, and you're going to paper or decorate the wall afterwards, then he should be able to feather in the new plaster to the existing.

If you're having the whole wall done, then all the paper needs to come off and the walls should be washed to remove any paste and other residue. If this is the case, then have a pleasant late night ;) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

the top half of the wall is sound, the bottom half must have had tiles on at some point.
they've been pulled off, along with patches of the skim coat..
the previous owner hid this by installing the T+G as a wainscote which was ugly..
so on my removing it, it's pulled yet more plaster off and so needs tarting up so I can paper it..
View media item 13062
other parts of the kitchen walls have blown, and these have been picked back to the bricks.. but the last 8-10 inches on the corner ( outside corner ) is solid, so i've left it to save having to chop into the adjoining wall..
View media item 13063
I've also got to figure a way for him to plaster this..
View media item 13061

a couple of bricks will deal with that corner coljack, advice as dextrous says and give all the walls a coat of pva allowing your spread to give the walls another coat in the morning prior to plastering.

its just as quick plastering full walls as patching them up! i would remove the radiator as well.

if thats the corner you were proposing to use the expanding foam on it wont work as it will slump and fall out..............so dextrous was right :LOL:

where am I supposed to get PVA from at this time of night? :rolleyes:

no bricks or mortar either...

the plasterer has rushed me..
I was supposed to phone him when I had it ready.. I'd like another few days to sort the corner out and so on but he phoned me sunday asking if he could start this week.. he's low on work and "running into difficulty" as he put it...

I'd put him off till monday if I could.. but Dad's on my case to get it done too.. ( he's paying for it since Nan died in June and he gave my brother his old car.. I get a finished kitchen )

to be fair though, I started stripping wallpaper in the kitchen a little over 2 years ago ( finding the bad walls etc ) and have had the kitchen set up in the spare room ever since..
I couldn't find the cash to get a plasterer in to do the walls ( first time buyer, soon realised that the mortgage takes all my previous "spending money" away from me..

on arriving at a job i would expect any wall coverings to have been removed, furniture moved out of the way, the family mutt shut in a seperate room (especially if its the mad eyed no neck variety) anything else would be a bonus.

holes in walls, loose plaster, high points, sockets, switches, and more i deal with as part of the prep of the job.

you are worrying for nothing ;)

I started stripping wallpaper in the kitchen a little over 2 years ago
:LOL: :LOL: no rush then.

Pity that plumber who came last Thursday ( :rolleyes: ) didn't remove the radiator while he was there. If the plasterer is so much up against it, then he'll be able to put it off 'til Friday, surely and buy you that time you need.

He may turn up and give you extra time anyway, if he's a bit fickle. Here's hoping!

I reckon you've sorted your router problem and now you can't drag yourself off that darned computer so you've left it all till the last minute.

definitely last minute..
was up at 6am today to get to B&Q at 7 when it opened..
can of spray foam in hand i've filled it best I can.. should be set in a few hours..

well he's turned up and seems happy with it.. so we'll see how it goes..

edit:

oh great, he's a frickin whistler... :rolleyes: :evil:

funny chap..
he's got the radio on and says he can hear it, but I was stood closer to it than him and couldn't..
he also turned down a free bacon sarnie...

funny chap..
he's got the radio on and says he can hear it, but I was stood closer to it than him and couldn't..
he also turned down a free bacon sarnie...
Maybe he'll turn down getting paid. You live in hope

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back