Prepping (sanding) a wall for paint thats been plastered?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys ive had some drylining done downstairs and skimming done upstairs. Reason being that my intention was not to do the upstairs but due to some unforseen circumstances i had to do the upstairs also but with a tighter budget.

The plastering has been done very very good but where the two different types of walls meet i need them to blend in.

Now I know i need to sand the blended plaster and feather it out but what would you guys recommend? Shall I do this by hand or use a power sander of some sort. If you recommend the power sander route, would you say a orbital sander or a normal sander?

Furthermore, there was another part where an old socket was removed and blanked off. I can feel the plaster lumped a little here, again what is the best method to rectify this i.e. where i paint, not being able to tell there was somethin there

cheers

Sponsored Links
I would rub down as much as possible by hand or a sander fill the wall with a wide filling knife, rub down and line the whole wall with 100 grade lining paper..you may be able to get rid of the bump but there will always be a difference between the old wall and the new smooth plaster.

(wet the bare plaster wall first before you fill it otherwise the filler might not stick to well and/or will absorb to quick into the surface, making it hard work to apply.)

zampa thanks for the much needed reply. I have just purchased a orbital sander as it will break my hands doing it by hand.

Regarding the bump, this is part of the new plaster, it lumped up a little where a socket once was previously

Regarding filler, would Easi Fill be good for the job?

also shall i use pva for the filler to stick or would plain water be sufficient?

Easi-fil is an excellent choice IMO

Leave the PVA alone!!!....just wet the wall first, it'll be fine.

Sponsored Links
i just hope I can get a more or less seamless finish once painted

I am at the moment finding it difficult to locate timber studs in the ceilings even with the aid of a stanley stud detector

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back