Preserving shiney copper pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Where the boiler is, there's going to be nice new copper pipework. It's in a utility room so the pipework will be visible, on the wall, connected with brass pipe clamps.

I know copper pipes start going dark after a while. What do people think of preserving the colour maybe with some lacquer? Halfords do a thin spray lacquer, I was thinking of using that unless someone has a better idea? My only concern with the spray is getting in between the pipes.

Sponsored Links
Dont use any kind of spray-on or other application to copper pipes. Polish them with Brasso if you are that concerned- just as the squaddies do each evening when they are dreaming of girls and cold beer.

Correction: cold beer and girls.

How long do you think the brasso will stop oxidisation? It would probably need redoing every so often.

Sponsored Links
Look up patination oil.

Got some of that from when the roof was done. Should last longer than brasso. Patination oil was developed for lead, I think it is designed to penetrate the surface of the metal to last longer.

Hycote lacquers are generally stable to around 60 deg C....a wee bit close to boiler temperature! Best try a small area to see how you get on, but do spray it cold.
John :)

Paint them white... Like every other f***er does!

Should be illegal!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back