pressure & flow question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The mains supply to my cold water cistern is from 2x 15mm pipes which join at a T to feed a single 15mm pipe which then connects to the valve.

Am I right in thinking that having the 2 supplies to the T won't make any difference to flow because they end up going into a single length of 15mm piping, but if I replaced this section with a 22mm pipe it would make a difference?

Sponsored Links
No you are wrong.

The flow is subject to resistance in a thin pipe !

Tony

It sounds very odd having two pipes feeding in to a single one - are you sure you're looking at it the right way round (i.e. it isn't that one is a supply, one goes to your cistern and another feeds something else entirely (e.g. F+E tank)?

No you are wrong.

The flow is subject to resistance in a thin pipe !

Tony

Hmm, ok.. point taken, how about if we assume frictionless pipes?

I guess what I'm really getting at is will adding a 22mm pipe after the junction actually double (22/15 squared) the flow in this situation?

Sponsored Links
It sounds very odd having two pipes feeding in to a single one - are you sure you're looking at it the right way round (i.e. it isn't that one is a supply, one goes to your cistern and another feeds something else entirely (e.g. F+E tank)?

Oh yeah, that makes more sense. :oops:

I was thrown by the fact that the join was about 6" from the tank, and after a clear 2m vertical run from 2 parallel pipes. Come to think of it I know exactly where the second supply goes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back