Vented system wont fill. Blocked pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just replaced a mid port valve in my vented system, But I cant fill the system at all. Tank in the lift didnt empty at all when I drained system.

Obviously there is a blockage in the system. Have taken the pump off and turned the valve between the tank and the flow pipe but not a single drop of water comes through. I think (but not sure) that the pipe is blocked with sludge.

Where the 15mm (from expansion tank) joins the 22mm (main flow to pump) there is what I can only describe as a trap made from "2" 15mm elbows and the 15mm enters the 22mm from underneath. (hope this makes sense) I can only imagine that this is blocked with rubbish from the system.

Have taken pipe off the valve in airing cupboard and water flows really fast.

My question is this. I am going to have to cut this section out and replace it. Does the 15mm supply pipe from tank have to enter the main flow pipe from underneath?

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks
Paul

Sponsored Links
Yes hard stuff builds up there. I've got water flowing by tapping the pipe, but you have to wonder where it'll end up. Not good to have it in the pump.

If you remove the pump to recover the bits, you could try poking drain springs up/down/along the pipe, or tip some descaler in the top and hope it works its way through.

The pipe enters from below to try to prevent convection heating of the vertical feed pipe (heat loss).

If there's a valve of any sort in the water feed to the system, it's likely to block, and is against the regs.

Thanks for the replys. It obvoiusly a common "ish" issue then. I will fabricate an identical setup in that case.

When you say its against regs are you taking about the gate valve between the output of the tank and the flow pipe? Is it going to be an issue if left in? I actually have the house on the market at the min. Is this likely to get picked up on a survey?

Paul

Sponsored Links
Cool. Thats staying in then! I know what surveys are like! Lost the last sale due to the "basic tiling in kitchen" amongst many other similar things that added up to an aparent £30k!!!!!!!!!

Cheers for the help guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back