Pressure Loss - idiots guide !!!

The prv would leak to outside through the pipe which goes straight out. Look for a dribbly end.

Sponsored Links
ChrisR said:
The prv would leak to outside through the pipe which goes straight out.

I've inspected all the pipes that come out of the bottom of the boiler and there are no leaks there either... unless when you say "leak to outside" you mean somewhere else?

(...also, as mentioned previously, I've had a large basin placed below the boiler to collect anything leaking out and it's been bone dry).

The PRV discharges to outside via a 15mm pipe so you need to look carefully at the end of this for signs of drips. Some people even suggest hooking a plastic bag over the pipe to collect evidence.

Just thought I'd give an update on this...

Since Saturday, the system has not lost any more pressure which is odd since I did not adjust anything inside the boiler when I took the cover off. The only thing that I did prior to that was to turn off the electric and water.

I can however say that the main stop cock for the house supply of water was open fully before I shut it off. After replacing the cover on the boiler I opened up the main stop cock to about half as many turns as I took to close it.

(This is now just a total random guess since I know absolutely zilch about these things...) Could the pressure from the mains supply of water been so high that it caused pressure loss in my boiler?

Sponsored Links
It does sound likely to me that its been leaking from the PRV to the vent which usually goes through the wall to the outside.

They will often seal themselves after a few days.

The cause of leaking is usually small bits of rust from the rads.

It helps them to seal if they are twisted until they click three times after they have been opened.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back