Pressure Problem in sealed CH system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Potterton Profole 60E boiler with a sealed system (Bolier on ground floor)

Over bank holiday the boiler failed to start when CH cycle kicked in and the pressure of the system was just above zero. I was instructed by a family friend to bleed the rads while cold whcih I did and got air out. I then re pressurised back up (via filling loop) to 1 bar and then bled again and refilled until I was getting no more air from any rads - just water.

I started heating again and bolier fired up a remained lit but pressure rose up to just over 3bar. Water leaked from the overflow pipe and the pressure reduced some but still 2.5 bar.

I left running but later in day switched off heating and watched the pressure fall back down to say 0.5bar before I switched back on again (basically I didn't want the pressure to keep falling so that I couldn't put heat back on again).

Left running overnight and checking pressure thid morning the pressure has come down to 2bar and I'm assuming it will keep falling.

I have checked for leaks and weeping valves and can't find any and all rads heat up hot (even the ones I couldn't bleed due to painted over bleed valves).

Up until this system has been running without issue for 4-5 year since we moved in.

Other info. we have a 0.5bar expansion vessel fitted. Boiler is outside in utility room but with Frost stat fitted.

Any thing else I can check for?

Sponsored Links
First of all I suggest you check the pressure whith the same conditions every time - e.g.cold. This will give a better idea on what's happening.

My mum's new combi had this problem and we discovered a small leak - a drip which dissapeared into the carpet. With this drip, the pressure went down by 1 bar in about a week and the boiler cut-off after about 2-3 weeks from full pressure (2bar). Plumber had to re-do a joint.

Keep looking for a very small leak.

If you have set the pressure at 1 bar when cold then its lifting to 3 then discharging then down too 2 you hav e fault with ya expansion vessel. It may say .5 bar on it but it should have minimum 1 bar in it. can u see a valve can like on a car tyre.?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back