Pressure Reducing Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have been told by a manufacturer that I need to fit a pressure reducing valve to the inflow of the hot water to reduce the pressure bellow 1bar otherwise the system will not function correctly.

I have looked at pressure reducing valves but noticed that a lot of them are restricted in there temperature rating.

Can anyone advise what to fit to a hot water pipe to reduce the pressure and what temperature the water would be?

Sponsored Links
What system do you want to reduce the pressure to and what temperature is the hot water?

Hi,

I have been told by a manufacturer that I need to fit a pressure reducing valve to the inflow of the hot water to reduce the pressure bellow 1bar otherwise the system will not function correctly.

I have looked at pressure reducing valves but noticed that a lot of them are restricted in there temperature rating.

Can anyone advise what to fit to a hot water pipe to reduce the pressure and what temperature the water would be?

Do they mean the cold water supply inlet?

Hi,

Do they mean the cold water supply inlet?

I am not quite sure, I did ring them up now to just ask them and got someone else this time who said you can't fit one of those with it because it won't work. Even though they told me you could previously.

Basically it is an aqualisa digital shower that I plan to change from a gravity fed system to a pressured system at some stage over the coming months. So am I am just finding out exactly what I have to do to change it. I have been told now that I have to change the processor box because you can't have a pumped one on a pressurised system.

However previously I was told that you just have to fit a pressure reducing valve to reduce the pressure to the allowed level and therefore be able to use it.

What it does say in the manual is this...

1) The Axis Digital pumped shower system is designed to operate up to a maximum static pressure of 1 bar (14.5 psi).
2) Under no circumstances must the pumped processor be connected directly to the water main or in line with another booster pump.
3) The minimum actual capacity of the cold water storage cistern should be not less than 225 litres (50 gallons). The capacity
of the hot water cylinder must be capable of meeting the anticipated demand.

Sponsored Links
You can disconnect the pump in the unit and the on/off switch will still work the shower. However, the higher pressure will cause the connection for the hot and cold supplies to leak, pressure reducing Valves on both the hot and cold supplies should take care of that.

Ps- I'm presuming you have the older unit that doesn't have the switch to turn it to pump fed/combi

Pps - although this has worked for me in the past a better solution would be to buy the new processor unit

You can disconnect the pump in the unit and the on/off switch will still work the shower. However, the higher pressure will cause the connection for the hot and cold supplies to leak, pressure reducing Valves on both the hot and cold supplies should take care of that.

Ps- I'm presuming you have the older unit that doesn't have the switch to turn it to pump fed/combi

Pps - although this has worked for me in the past a better solution would be to buy the new processor unit

Thanks for the reply,

I have the older unit part number QZ something (will dig it out exactly).

I will take a look and see if it has the on/off switch you refer to. If I do place two pressure reducing valves between it can you tell me what to look for when purchasing them. I noted that some are restricted on the temperature of the water.

The on/off switch I was referring to is the one on the rail? That you use to turn the water on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back