Pressure Reducing Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just installed a hot water thermal store and have pressure of 2 bars after the titular valve. When I adjust the blue tap (on left of image) clockwise or anti-clockwise, it makes no difference to the pressure. Do I have to do anything with the Allen key adjusted small black ring on right of valve in order to adjust the pressure or am I in need of a new pressure reducing valve. The thermal store is working a treat on 2 bars and this pressure is within the acceptable range although the installation manual states that 3 bars is ideal so I figured I should aim for that. Any help/suggestions gratefully received.

Attachments

• D2E2A5D4-AC19-4487-AF61-C7D483A78C41.jpeg
    D2E2A5D4-AC19-4487-AF61-C7D483A78C41.jpeg
    243.5 KB · Views: 106
Sponsored Links
The small black ring is just a blanking plug. If you remove it you'll get wet.
Thank you. So it sounds like it’s in need of replacement do you think? I think it may be around 15 years old so could be riddled with limescale.

I think someone needs to stop putting PTFE tape around the threads of the fittings, it serves no purpose.

All depends on whether the PRV has a anti tamper lock on it or not. Sometimes just twisting the top will do nothing until the the anti tamper lock is removed, sometimes a screwdriver or an allan key is needed into the top of the valve to engage the valve properly.

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
Sponsored Links
Good point @TimboTwo, I thought about checking this but I was hoping to avoid opening up the plumbing before the prv. It’s really not a problem as the current pressure works well with the new system. As I’d never worked with a prv before, it was just niggling me.

What is the pressure before the prv?

The PRV isn't adjusting the pressure either way according the original post, if it's currently 2 bar then the PRV should be able to at least drop that pressure. Looks like a old reliance PRV and they can typically drop the pressure to 0.5bar.

OP ... if it has a screw slot in the top then that needs to be loosened, if it doesn't then it's a set PRV and will have a disc in the top that details what the pressure is set to. If there is a screw, loosen that, turn the top anticlockwise and then open a tap that it serves to allow the pressure to drop, then turn it back up clockwise to the desired pressure.

As suggested though, your mains may only be 2 bar and it won't go any higher, it should go lower though if it is adjustable. It will probably need a service though if it hasn't been touched in years, strainer cleaned, silicon greased etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back