Pressure relief valve question, unused cellar installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Considering boiler change, from conventional system (Glowworm spacesaver) to sealed system boiler (ultracom2 30 sxi). Boiler is currently in the subfloor area and I have about 5 foot headroom. I want to keep the new boiler in the same place for ease of installation. I will be getting a condensate pump fitted but don't know what will happen with the PRV pipework. Just want to be clued up so I don't get ripped off. There is currently a sump pump in the subfloor area to keep that area dry when it rains a lot. Can the PRV pipework be run to the sump? Or any other solutions to this? Thanks in advance, Steve.

Sponsored Links
I wouldnt worry to much either way, you can just get your installer to drop it into the sump if its easy enough, or you could just run it and terminate in in you're cellar, aslong as it is a cellar and not used as a room, if it has fridges/ washing machines or anything that cant get damaged it isnt advisable, but if its just a solid floored cellar with nothing valuble in it, Water will only ever come out of it when there is a problem, with the PRV or the expansion vessel or filling loop, which will be rare, you would hope :)

so I don't get ripped off

Someone's been watching too much Rogue Traders...the vast majority of tradesman aren't out to get you.

PRV pipework can be run to the sump or onto the floor as Ollie has said. I'd be more worried about what you're going to do with the flue though, the location of the present one may well not be acceptable for the new one. I assume water ingress is via the walls/floor of your cellar and not the ceiling? If it's the ceiling you will get warranty issues if the boiler suffers water damage...IE your warranty won't cover it.

so I don't get ripped off

Someone's been watching too much Rogue Traders...the vast majority of tradesman aren't out to get you.

PRV pipework can be run to the sump or onto the floor as Ollie has said. I'd be more worried about what you're going to do with the flue though, the location of the present one may well not be acceptable for the new one. I assume water ingress is via the walls/floor of your cellar and not the ceiling? If it's the ceiling you will get warranty issues if the boiler suffers water damage...IE your warranty won't cover it.

Sponsored Links
Some boiler manufacturers have products to overcome this problem. It enables the PRV to be located elsewhere so it can discharge above ground. Im certain that Baxi do one. Not sure about Glow worm. The installer may be able to find out.

Thanks for the replies. The flue at present goes up and out (or out and up, can't remember which) through what used to be an external wall, into what is now the kitchen, boxed in. Then it goes up through the flat roof of the kitchen extension. It then carries on up the external wall fixed with supporting brackets, then up through the soffit and through the tiles where it terminates approx 1 metre above the roof. I think that the replacement flue can be fixed to the wall in the same way even though it will be the new concentric type. I've seen the bits and pieces on the Glowworm website and they seem to have everything that's needed. Can anyone see a problem with that? Steve.

Time to get your tape measure out. The maximum flue length with the standard 4" flue is 10 metres, less one metre for every 90º bend (or pair of 45º bends) This can be increased to 25m if the 5" flue is used.

Thanks for the reply, the distance is only 6 metres from the boiler flue output to the soffit as the roof terminal is low down on the roof, not at the ridge. Are the concentric flues designed to go outside? What are they made of and how long do they last outside? Also I have seen the twin pipe solution instead of concentric, would that work out as more expensive?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back