pressure testing using a Rothenberger electric pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm going to be testing my newly installed (by me) heating pipework and rads on Sunday for which I've hired a Rothenberger pressure tester for the coming weekend. As a novice I'd appreciate a few tips if any of you have the time:

- the hire co tell me that I'll need to connect my own inlet hose (they say just a garden hose) to the tester. I plan to just buy a connector I can tighten onto a tap but how does it connect to the pump itself? Jubilee? Push fitting?

- the (very scant) instructions I've been emailed show the pressure hose connector going straight into a radiator but I want to connect it to the plastic piping at the start of my heating loop. Again I can't seem to find out what the connector on the pressure hose is. I need compression or push fit obviously, but I'm concerned it is fitted with a screw fitting. How can I adapt that if so?

- what psi should I test to? (let me know if you need more info on number of rads etc to answer that)

All help very gratefully received. I want to get this right first time!

Cheers,
Helen

Sponsored Links
Do you have a model number for the pump? Might be easier to help if we have that.

What make of plastic pipe do you have? Some manufacturers specify test procedures. In any case a minimum test pressure of 4.5 bar, 65psi, must be used. Note that plastic pipe cannot be connected to a boiler, the first metre must be in copper.

It's just listed as a Rothenberger electric test pump 78 bar (1100psi). Can't find anything other than that (I don't pick it up until Sat unfortunately and the hire place is waiting for it to come in)

I've used 22mm JG Speedfit Polybutylene pipe.

Thanks for the copper tip, that end of connection is going to be in the hands of a heating engineer thankfully. He's just said that we have to pressure test our pipework so that he knows its good before he starts work (quite reasonably).

Sponsored Links
ah thanks. Will 12 litres capacity be enough to test a loop with 4 rads through 3 rooms? (probably a dunce-ish question, sorry)

In most cases the mains water pressure can be used for pressure testing at no extra cost and in a few minutes!

I do have to say testing with air pressure prevents water damage if there are any leaks!

Tony

John Guest Speedfit should be tested to:
2 bar for 2 minutes, then 10 bar for 10 minutes.
Have you used barrier pipe?

thanks Tony. The house needs drylining and replastering so if there's a leak or two it won't be a problem!

thanks also linkyplumb for the info.

Much appreciated everyone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back