Preventing condensation in bathroom cupboard on external solid wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I plan on building a cupboard around the boiler in my bathroom and replacing the toilet with a back to wall style one - see the photo attached. The corner that the boiler is in is two external solid walls.

How can I prevent condensation build up?
  • I don't think that I can insulate the walls as the boiler and all of the pipes will be in the way so I'd never be able to get a continuous barrier.
  • Will ventilation at the top and bottom of the cupboard be sufficient?
  • Or should I look at having a low power tubular heater in there? The boiler itself barely feels warm even when the heating has been on for hours. I guess once it's contained it may feel warmer.
Thanks in advance for any pointers,

Doug

2018-01-29 18.02.50.jpg

Sponsored Links
Turn the boiler on

Agreed, with all that exposed pipe work and the heating on it should be warm in there!

The pipes obviously get hot but the boiler isn't even warm to the touch even after the heating's been on for hours. I will start with nothing and see if it gets condensation-y or mouldy in there. I'm only planning on keeping cleaning stuff in there.

Thanks

Doug

Sponsored Links
The boiler will get warm, the pipes will too as will the flue, and air will move.

I can't imagine for one moment that condensation will ever occur let alone be an issue.

Have you been reading too much into it?

It can be an issue when it starts running down the wall and soaking into the skirting board and then even worse under the laminate onto the floorboards/joists. Obviously that's over a longer period of time though so it's good that you're considering it now rather than just presuming "it'll be al'reet".

It can be an issue when it starts running down the wall and soaking into the skirting board and then even worse under the laminate onto the floorboards/joists. Obviously that's over a longer period of time though so it's good that you're considering it now rather than just presuming "it'll be al'reet".
Don't be daft, condensation won't be an issue in a cupboard with a boiler in it.

Honestly I've seen it happen! I'm just saying it is good to raise the question.

I think we can conclude that given the size of the proposed cupboard and the amount of heat which will be given off, the OP will be absolutely fine.

To be honest our bathroom is fully wall tiled and has no cupboards, but if someone has a shower for long enough the water literally runs down the walls and soaks into the floor. This is even on the internal walls. Adding a cupboard without a boiler would certainly need heat in it.

This is even on the internal walls. Adding a cupboard without a boiler would certainly need heat in it.
The environment and humidity within a cupboard would be completely different to that in the the bathroom generally, as would the local surface temperatures of any wall, so its not to say that just because you got condensation on a tiled batroom wall it would follow that it would occur in a cupboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back