Preventing voltage spikes from inductive loads

N

NewFolder

I posted a question on here a while ago about my powered USB hub malfunctioning when I switched a fan off, and I got the answer that the fan was an inductive load, and when switched off it could create a high voltage 'spike', that was going to the transformer for the USB hub and causing it to malfunction. I was also told that this could potentially damage equipment.

So is there any way to prevent the voltage spike from occurring, or to prevent it from being transferred to other equipment?

Sponsored Links
You won't stop it from occurring as such, you can minimise the effect by using anti surge devices

You won't stop it from occurring as such, you can minimise the effect by using anti surge devices

Thank you for that.

Do surge protected extension leads protect the devices plugged into it from spikes caused by devices plugged into other sockets? E.g. if I plugged the fan into one socket on the surge protector, and plugged 3 other devices in, would the other 3 devices be affected by the voltage spike caused by the fan?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back