Previous Cars From Our Youth

Cracking motors both!

I liked the look of the late (C reg) CX and in particular the Familiale.

The CX was the last true Citroen before the merger with Peugeot. The estate also holds the most mundane record in the auto world. It has the most sun visors: 6!

I don't agree with the rear drive Alfa fans.

I think the front drive Alfas are a hoot to drive: at least my '78 'sud Super 1.3 was! The flat four was a stonking lump!

When I insured it, it was in the then top insurance group: 6. Other 1300s were in much lower groups, but this thing went like siht off a shovel! And that exhaust note!

My favourite 'sud was the Sprint, of which a mate of mine had a 1.5 example. Gorgeous looks!

I only drove one rear drive Alfa and that was a 1981 Giulietta where I believe the 'box was mounted at the rear for better weight distribution and that was good. However, the 'box linkages made for a clunky shift, not what you want in an Italian car. The one thing I do remember was a bonkers rev counter that went anti-clockwise!

If I had some spare money, I'd fill my life with many older cars, starting with a load of Alfas!

Yes, the Sud was special! A mate of mine, had several of them, when we were students. Absolutely rotten as peaches, but boy did they go! (And handled well too)! Some say the Sud was the first hot hatch, and I wouldn't like t disagree.

Sponsored Links
The Ti was a bit of a goer, but I still prefer the Giugiaro-penned Sprint.

Still looking for a picture of it, but funnily, my sud wasn't rotten, even at the grand old age of 8! It lived the majority of those years in Cornwall. Indeed, it was Fowey-registered.

My Grandad never used any kind of soap. Apparently, the instruction he got from the dealer was to only wash in warm plain water.

Edit: I have to add this advice was relating to washing the Alfa, not himself!

Last edited:
The Ti was a bit of a goer, but I still prefer the Giugiaro-penned Sprint.

Still looking for a picture of it, but funnily, my sud wasn't rotten, even at the grand old age of 8! It lived the majority of those years in Cornwall. Indeed, it was Fowey-registered.

My Grandad never used any kind of soap. Apparently, the instruction he got from the dealer was to only wash in warm plain water.

Edit: I have to add this advice was relating to washing the Alfa, not himself!
That's amazing! They normally rotted like crazy - even from the showroom. Bloody naff Russian steel...

Sponsored Links
Back