Previous movement but no evidence to suggest this is ongoing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to buy a three bedroom semi detached house. House is 85 years old.

Valuation survey is done last week with below points:

• The property require repair and refurbishment
  • The property has suffered previous movement but I saw no evidence to suggest this is ongoing
  • The damp proof course is too low and may not be fully effective
The lender has offered the mortgage based on the asking price.

I called the valuer and asked about second point regarding "previous movement". He said there was a repaired crack in the property and that has triggered his "previous movement" observation.

I am new to property world and I am bit worried that should I go ahead to buy the house or not? and how this will impact insurance etc?

Should I go for more detailed structured/building survey?

Thanks for all help

Sponsored Links
It's 85 years old, what do you expect?

Just buy it and don't worry, the crack won't affect any insurance, but you would be wise to have a survey done regardless on a house of that age

Thanks for reply.

So I should go for Building Survey or HomeBuyer report?

I am going to visit property again and will take pics.

And not just a mortgage survey but a proper structural survey.

The one you have had done sounds like a mortgage company survey to assure them they will only lend you what they think its worth in its present condition. Having a structural one done will either give you peace of mind or decide that it is not the right house for you.
With a structural survey you may even be able to get the price lowered enough to cover the cost of your survey.

Sponsored Links
Yes it was mortgage survey.

Now next question is how to find a structure surveyor... Just search on internet or go back to lender for structure survey?

Property is in Essex, Chelmsford area.

Thanks for all help.

Building survey instructed..

I visited the property and here are few pics of cracks....

Property was empty for 3 to 4 months.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 6.jpg
    FullSizeRender 6.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,166
  • FullSizeRender 9.jpg
    FullSizeRender 9.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,184
  • FullSizeRender 12.jpg
    FullSizeRender 12.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 1,084
  • FullSizeRender 21.jpg
    FullSizeRender 21.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 1,069
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,061
  • FullSizeRender 56.jpg
    FullSizeRender 56.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,071
  • FullSizeRender 3.jpg
    FullSizeRender 3.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 1,110
Looking at the decor (painted woodchip paper), .5mm cracks have opened up in 35 years (1980 till now), so in 35 years time they could be 1mm wide. How long do you think you will be living in this house?
Frank

Which picture are you referencing?

I have long term plan.

I have no idea if these cracks repairable easily and how much they will cost?

Do I need re-plaster all the walls?

Appreciate any help if it is too much hassle then I should not buy then.

You can't assess cracks by looking just at the cracks themselves. You need to know the structural form and materials the house is built from, local ground conditions, external influences, etc, etc. At a guess I'd say those cracks are harmless but to be sure you need a full assessment and report. As above the cost of the report can normally be recovered by negotiating the purchase price against repairs needed but it also gives you insurance if they turn into something nasty later.

They do seem indicative of thermal movement over time ie common and not structural.

here are few more pics...

if there are just thermal moment then how these are fixed. do this mean re-plaster. it is three bedroom house and cracks are almost in every room.

i will go for structure survey but just thinking if it is too hassle and expensive to fix these cracks then i should not go ahead at all. I like the property, area etc but there are cracks in every single room.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 23.jpg
    FullSizeRender 23.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 650
  • FullSizeRender 54.jpg
    FullSizeRender 54.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 613
  • FullSizeRender 52.jpg
    FullSizeRender 52.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 668
  • FullSizeRender 46.jpg
    FullSizeRender 46.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 699
  • FullSizeRender 45.jpg
    FullSizeRender 45.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 630
  • FullSizeRender 43.jpg
    FullSizeRender 43.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 620
  • FullSizeRender 38.jpg
    FullSizeRender 38.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 666
  • FullSizeRender 36.jpg
    FullSizeRender 36.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 623
  • FullSizeRender 31.jpg
    FullSizeRender 31.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 667
Here are dimensions of rooms etc.

Any idea how would it cost to repair all cracks (if their are no structured related issues) and re-plaster all house including ceiling?

LOUNGE 4.04m (13'3") x 3.48m (11'5")

DINING ROOM 3.71m (12'2") x 3.33m (10'11")

KITCHEN 2.72m ( 8'10") x 1.90m (6'3")

BEDROOM 1 4.09m ( 13'6") x 3.10m (10'2")

BEDROOM 2 3.12m ( 10'2") x 2.82m (9'3")

BEDROOM 3 2.90m ( 9'5") x 2.16m (7'2")

Also I am thinking to remove the stud/partition wall b/w kitchen and dining room and not sure how much extra would be that?

Get a survey done and ask the surveyor to price the plaster repairs, or any repairs.

Have you tapped the plaster? Does it sound hollow?, is it adhering firmly?. For a building this old, cracks are common.
As I see it, before re-plastering, the paper needs to be stripped and the loose plaster (is there some?) needs to be removed. No point in putting new plaster over old and loose stuff. So stripping the paper costs about £30 for a steam stripper and a lot of your time. If there is loose plaster, knock it out, costs nothing, then get you plasterer to quote. Else if there is no loose plaster, but a £5 tub of filler and a filler knife and fix the cracks.
Frank

Full survey will be done this week so finger crossed.

Meanwhile I took a local plasterer and visited the property and here are his findings:
  • These are just normal cracks due to age
  • Nothing major or structural issue as house is not decorated for many years
  • He tapped the plaster and it sounds hallow in certain places so he suggested the same, remove old plaster, strip out the loos plaster and then plaster the complete house
To save the cost he suggested I should remove the old paper etc and then he will put together the quote to plaster the complete house.

This is a three bed semi detached house (rooms are not that big though) so not sure how much he will quote.

Any idea of the rough cost?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back