Previously widened fireplace - is this safe or new lintel needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just removed an inset gas fire with a view to opening up the fireplace to the builders opening … initially for aesthetic reasons (to have a more rustic look) and eventually to get a wood burning stove fitted.

The original builders opening is only about 50cm and unfortunately it looks like whoever fitted the gas fire widened this by about a quarter of a brick either side to about 60cm to accommodate this. There is a steel lintel at the top of the opening but this is now only supported by about 8cm of bearing either side. There is also a concrete lintel higher up but this is about the same width as the steel one so I’m not sure that this provides much extra support? (photos below)

My first question is does the lintel need replacing with a 90cm one to allow a 15cm bearing either side? If so how easy is this to do? Am I best to get a builder in?

Second, there is a metal flue in place from the gas fire (see photos) – I’m guessing this is not suitable for a wood burner but wanted to double check as I don’t know how to tell?

Thanks in advance

The opening - about 50cm at the bottom + 60cm at the top

IMG_20160731_085825.jpg

Steel lintel
IMG_20160731_085839.jpg

Concrete lintel
IMG_20160731_085842.jpg

The flue:
IMG_20160730_203710.jpg

IMG_20160730_203718.jpg
IMG_20160730_203832.jpg

Sponsored Links
When do you imagine that the new, future wood stove will be installed?
If you dont know when then simply work to what you have.
No need to bother about c/breast safety, your lintels are fine as they are.
Square off the opening, use angle beads on the inside corners, and render the inside with a sand and lime mix.

Flue liners are typically swapped for new liners but its a site call - for the time being leave the liner in place.
If the old liner is left in place it must be smoke tested before any new use.
Much depends on the c/stack liner terminal but you will have a HETAS to consult for the wood burner install.

The sooty flue walls should be swept and cleaned - this would, of course, need the liner to be removed. The fire opening should be wire brushed clean.

When you select the new wood burner then get the Mfr's required opening dimensions, and open up the chimney breast to those dimensions.

I dont see any gas restrictor elbow or supply pipe?

Great, thanks.

We were considering getting the stove now but have been put off by the cost of the install and the fact that we would rarely use it at the moment as we have young kids. So maybe in a year or two - although if the existing flue is usable we might do it straight away as I guess that would significantly reduce the cost. I don't really want to repeat the work though when we get the stove so am hoping to get it 'stove ready' first time. There seem to be plenty of stoves that will go in a 50-60cm opening. Would the sand and lime mix cope with the heat?

We got the gas supply capped off under the floorboards so I have pulled out the pipe

Sponsored Links
While you can get narrow wood burners, the thing to remember is that the logs have to be significantly shorter. I would recomend getting the widest one that you can get to fit. Gas flues are the lowest quality stainless steel, coal/multi fuel the highest. Do a google search on type 1 or type 2 flues. Like wise consult a fire manufacturer such as :- http://www.dunsleyheat.co.uk/index.html to see what they say.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back