Price for a good tiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just wondered if you could give me an idea of what you should be paying per m2 for a tiler. The work is for my parents and he is half way through the job and not yet given a price!!!

Although they should have agreed a fixed price I wanted to get an idea of what they should be paying so they wont get any shocks or potentially ripped off.

He has tiled a (large) bathroom, walls and floor and the room is roughly 5mtrs long by 3 mtrs wide and 2.5 mtrs high (empty room). The tiles they have used are 600x300mm porcelin tiles. I know these take longer to lay as i used similars when i tiled my own bathroom.

Any indication of what they should pay per m2 or for the full job would be great, My parents have supplied all materials so all they are paying for is labour.

Many thanks
:D

Sponsored Links
labour rates vary from tiler to tiler, Did he not mention a set price or even a daily rate if thats how he is charging, but i would think your parents would be looking at something like £150 per day ( on a daily rate)
or anywhere between £20-40 pre M2, thats in the leeds area.

Definately should NOT have let him start the job without a price first, why not just stop and ask the guy, see what he says, you may be pleasantly surprised seeing as its near to x mas

Thanks for that, they should have got a price but they've just had an extention built and the building company reccoemnded this guy and before you know it he started. They have asked him for a price and hes told them not to worry it will be ok and he will sort it out (i've heard that before), I also hope he charges per m2 as hes not the fastest of tilers. Been at the bathroom for 5 days and still not finished!!!!!

So how much would you charge per m2 for porcelin tiles as these seem harder to lay?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Tiling cost depends on location & regional factors & can fluctuate widely; anything from £20 - £45 sq/m depending on tiles. Most pro tillers on domestic jobs work on a daily rate between £150-£250 or will give a fixed price for the job which is always the way to go & which your parents should have done before they let anyone through the door. Alarm bells are ringing with me here; you should never, EVER let someone start a job without getting quotes either way; they may be legit but your parents may have left themselves wide open to astronomical cowboy charging.

Porc tiles need the correct adhesive as do large format tiles but they require nothing special. Large format tiles may take longer for you to lay but as long as the tile base is flat, a decent pro tiller will not be phased by them in fact they will save him time. The important thing is to have a flat tile base or, without care, the finished job will look crap.

Important things; what’s the work like so far, how long is it taking them? If it’s a suspended timber floor, what prep did they do before laying the tiles? Are they fitting the sanitary ware? Any plumbing work required? Most importantly, what materials did your parents supply? If they got it wrong (quiet possible if not experienced) they won’t have any comeback if it goes wrong. Personally I would never do a job with materials supplied by the customer unless I told them what to buy or I was happy with what they had bought; why did they do that!

I would suggest you take stock on the charges ASAP or your parents may be in for a nasty shock. If you need more advice on specifics, came back.

So how much would you charge per m2 for porcelin tiles as these seem harder to lay?

Thanks again.

I have just quoted for a large floor area in porc £15 M2 BUT that is only because its x mas ( people dont have a lot of money left to spend) and mainly because it would be my youngster doing the work ( i have been injured) but i would have been on the job with him supervising. My normal rate if everything was straighforward would have been £30 M2, the size of the bathroom you stated should have taken no more than 2 days ( 1 man, walls and floor)

Thanks again.

I have just quoted for a large floor area in porc £15 M2 BUT that is only because its x mas ( people dont have a lot of money left to spend) and mainly because it would be my youngster doing the work ( i have been injured) but i would have been on the job with him supervising. My normal rate if everything was straighforward would have been £30 M2, the size of the bathroom you stated should have taken no more than 2 days ( 1 man, walls and floor)

;)

does sound tho this guy is taken his time!!!....5 days so far??....
just ask him how much he is going to charge your parents then take it from there...ya never know till ya ask.

porkies aint any harder to fix than any other tile....

"you pick them"....."we fix them"..... ;)

He has tiled a (large) bathroom, walls and floor and the room is roughly 5mtrs long by 3 mtrs wide and 2.5 mtrs high (empty room). The tiles they have used are 600x300mm porcelin tiles.

lets hope he dont hit them with a day rate then.
But the day rate would work out cheaper than the sqm rate

would be looking at something like £150 per day ( on a daily rate)

would have been £30 M2, the size of the bathroom you stated should have taken no more than 2 days ( 1 man, walls and floor)

Are you sure? Those wall and floor areas come out at a total of 55sqm
So for 2 days work you would be charging £1650 on sqm or if you worked for your quoted day rate a total of £300

would be looking at something like £150 per day ( on a daily rate)

would have been £30 M2, the size of the bathroom you stated should have taken no more than 2 days ( 1 man, walls and floor)

Are you sure? Those wall and floor areas come out at a total of 55sqm
So for 2 days work you would be charging £1650 on sqm or if you worked for your quoted day rate a total of £300

Positive mate, if a tiler cannot fix 55-60 M2 in 2 days something is wrong

NO i would not be charging £300 for that job because i would not do it on a day rate, day rates are for p!ssy little jobs

So £1650 for 2 days,seems a lot thats all.
I do all domestic work and would never expect to fix more than 15sqm in a 7/8 hour day so this job would have taken me 4/5 days
My sqm rate would have been the same as yours including adhesive and grout even then still comes out around £300 a day.I never work for day rate always on sqm.

I do all domestic work and would never expect to fix more than 15sqm in a 7/8 hour day so this job would have taken me 4/5 days
My sqm rate would have been the same as yours including adhesive and grout even then still comes out around £300 a day.I never work for day rate always on sqm.

£1650 is not really a lot of money for fixing porcelain mate, also i work a lot more than an 8 hr day, normally its a 7,30 start and could finish around 9pm or later depends if the propertys empty or not, but on average i work 12-14 hrs a day

if you are only laying 15m2 a day in 600 x 600 porcelain that leads me to think you have not been tiling for very long, as thats not a big area for that size tile, then again it may be because i have been doing it for since i was 16, thats nearly 33 yrs ago :eek:

if i was to do something like an outside path, balcony, exterior steps things like that are done on a day rate, because they are only small jobs that take no time at all really

My labour charge of £30 per m2 does not include adhesives or grout, its a labour only charge

i have been doing it for since i was 16, thats nearly 33 yrs ago :eek:

I thought you were only 21 JC, not 21 again,,,, plus VAT. :LOL:

Thanks for that, they should have got a price but they've just had an extention built and the building company reccoemnded this guy and before you know it he started. They have asked him for a price and hes told them not to worry it will be ok and he will sort it out (i've heard that before), I also hope he charges per m2 as hes not the fastest of tilers. Been at the bathroom for 5 days and still not finished!!!!!

Thanks again.

just wondering how you got on with the price-evasive tiler? Did he do a good job and how much did he charge in the end? Were your parents happy in the end?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back