average rate for good tiler in outer London

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,
We've been quoted £186 per m2 to tile our new loft bathroom by our loft conversion company, not including tiles and materials. More if the area is 5m2 or less.

That's around £1k to tile the shower and a few tiles around the hand basin.
If we tile the floor and much of the bathroom, that's £2k+ for tiling not including tiles and materials.

5 years ago in the same house we had our old bathroom stripped and thrown away, new one fitted, whole bathroom re-boarded in hardiebacker or new plasterboard, and most of bathroom tiled throughout including floor for £2.5k. Its the same size as the loft bathroom.

I was expecting about £60-70 per m2.
Am I living in cloud cuckoo land as well as outer London, have prices really gone up that much lately?

Sponsored Links
WOW - £186 per m2. That is pure crazy. I don't live in Londonia, thank god. I was quoted £30 per m2 by the local tile shop to do 20m2. If I was quoted £40 I would have been happy, but any more and I would have baulked !!

Is there a whole lot of prep work to do ?

There is no prep work involved. its a bare shell
Luckily a friend of a friend has been round who is well recommended. He has quoted job price around 80% lower than the loft company. Pheweee
Maybe some loft companies would rather not get involved with tiling as it is one thing that can leak going forward.
They give you a 10 year guarantee when its finished. If they price it so high you get your own tiler in, maybe that is better all round

Probably just trying to squeeze a bit more out of the cow whilst its still in the parlour

Sponsored Links
You're lucky that you can find a tiler in Londinium at this time of year, the ones charging such extortionate fee's are either in HMP Wandsworth or wintering in their villa's on the Costa's.

'Round here, the going rate is £150 a day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back